• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

WHEELS, Chrome Styled Steel

hicountrybob

For the 1968 Mustang, these chrome wheels (Incl. chrome trim rings) could be ordered (and probably many were) from the factory for $77.73. I assume this was for a set of 4 ???, perhaps?? Bob

case12

Does anyone out there have a known original CS or HCS with original chrome wheels that were NOT listed on the window sticker or Marti report? As Bob says, they could be ordered from the factory, but could that mean some will not show up on the window sticker or Marti report? In other words - are chrome wheels listed on the window sticker (or Marti report), and/or sometimes they are not? Casey

68gt390

Don't know about anybody else but, my options section on both my Marti Reports does not show Chrome Styled Steel Wheels. Both cars came with the Styled Steel Wheels (Argent paint & stainless steel trim rings)because it was part of the GT Package. The Chrome Styled Steel Wheels (with stainless steel center cap with Red GT letters) were added by the dealer prior to sale. Regardless of which wheels you had, the center cap was alwyas stainless steel not chrome. As hicountrybob mentioned the cost was $77.73 but, I don't know about them being ordered from the factory. Everything I have read even in my GT 390 World Registery say's the Chrome Styled Steel Wheels were a dealer option that was added by the dealer and not at the factory. Even the original window sticker I have on my GT show's the Chrome Styled Steel Wheels were an added option by the dealer and not the factory. Makes for interesting conversation. I have actually heard both versions of getting the Chrome Wheels. Even the non GT cars could have the Chrome Styled Steel Wheels without the GT Center cap added by the dealer. As far as I know they are not listed on the Marti Repot. This is another reason why I would question them being ordered from the factory. Yes, they do show up on the dealer window sticker but, not the Marti Report. Could this be another bad case of record keeping by Ford?

Don ???

ironhorse

I don't have my Marti report yet, but the Ford History 999 shows my C-code GT/CS came with deluxe wheelcovers (the red-centred hubcaps, I believe). Yet the car came to me with argent S/S wheels — and the previous owner who had the car since '72 swears that's how she got it. Perhaps it's another case of a dealer swap to "spruce up" a lot car ... I understand as a non-GT car, it should have the chrome version. But I don't mind the argent ones, for now.
Kevin

68gt390

Kevin;
The Styled Steel Wheels with Argent paint and GT Center Cap were available only with the GT package. It is my understanding that these wheels were not available with non GT center cap for any other package. I have seen were many owners over the years have actually put the Styled Steel Wheels with Argent paint on there cars with the plain center cap. You are correct that the car could have come with the Chrome version of the Styled Steel Wheel from the dealer. Since your 999 report shows the Deluxe Wheel Covers I would venture to say that is what it came with from the dealer. It is very possible that the wheels on your car were replaced by a previous owner or as you mentioned the dealer before the lady who obtained the car in 72. Don't know how you feel about wheel covers but, I myself would prefer either the Chrome Styled Steel Wheel or the Argent version to the deluxe wheel covers.

Don

Russ

One of my GT/CS's came from the factory with "argent styled steel wheels" and "E70X14 wide oval tires", as indicated on the Marti Report. This car does not have the GT option, but is a highly optioned GT/CS. The car did not have the GT hubcaps. Just more information on this subject. Hope it helps,

Russ

68gt390

With all the combinations I've seen out there and after reading numerous "Ford Options List", I kinda wonder how much faith you can really put in what they offered and what was suppose to be on different cars. It seems to me that they pretty much put on what ever they wanted or what ever the dealer wanted. Just goes back to what has been said before, what Ford wrote and what they did with there "Options List" wasn't necessarily locked in stone. That can be seen in the Marti Reports we see with each car.

Don ???

68sunlitgold

Don,
I would have to agree with you, I have heard of others that have some things that according to a Ford Mustang Option list should not be factory. I also know Ford was not the only cars that came this way. I have a friend in Seattle that owns 1 of 6 1969 Firebird Trans AM Ram Air IV 400 convertibles and according to the option listing it stated these options can not be combined. It only took a call to Pontiac back in 69 to get it and I am sure that if there was a "knowledgable, gung-ho" sales dealer, I bet they could get any option they wanted. According to the Mach 1 site, there is a Mach 1 that had the stripes deleted because the owner wanted it that way, but it was suppose to be impossible to do that.

I know Paul has stated this before, but I don't think nothing is ever written in stone.

Doug

case12

[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1284;start=0#msg7346 date=1103903529]
Does anyone out there have a known original CS or HCS with original chrome wheels that were NOT listed on the window sticker or Marti report? As Bob says, they could be ordered from the factory, but could that mean some will not show up on the window sticker or Marti report? In other words - are chrome wheels listed on the window sticker (or Marti report), and/or sometimes they are not? Casey
[/quote]

Wow - looks like anything could happen....Still wondering if anyone (maybe an original owner) knows for sure their CS came with chrome wheels originally, but was NOT listed on the window sticker or Marti report. It certainly sounds likely, but wondering if someone can confirm with their car?

BTW, what is a FORD 999 report? Casey

bish

BTW, what is a FORD 999 report? Casey

It's a report issued thru Ford. Best of all it's free, but it may or may not give you the info you are looking for.
Check the link on this site (VIN reports)