• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Auto transmission to manual

jamoaus

Anyone done this? Seriously contemplating switching from auto to manual.. more for pure fun of driving than anything..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruppstang

Yes I have done it. There are a lot of parts to sores and it is not cheep but is very doable. It would be best to have a donor vehicle.

CougarCJ

Swapping to a T-5 is not that difficult with a cable clutch conversion.
I went from a 3 speed stick to T-5 with cable clutch.
The only manual transmission parts that I reused was the clutch pedal.
Most everything else came from a donor 1990-93 Mustang or Capri. Also Mustang Steve for upgrade parts.

Changed to disc brakes, so modified a 1969 disc brake pedal for manual transmission. Replaced old worn pedal hanger with used from automatic. Added a better bushing kit, could have used roller bushings (even better).

Mosesatm

Swapping to a T-5 is not that difficult with a cable clutch conversion.
I went from a 3 speed stick to T-5 with cable clutch.
The only manual transmission parts that I reused was the clutch pedal.
Most everything else came from a donor 1990-93 Mustang or Capri. Also Mustang Steve for upgrade parts.

Changed to disc brakes, so modified a 1969 disc brake pedal for manual transmission. Replaced old worn pedal hanger with used from automatic. Added a better bushing kit, could have used roller bushings (even better).

If you keep the original bellhousing you don’t need a cable or hydraulic clutch.

OP
OP
jamoaus

jamoaus

Thanks for the responses all. Would anyone know of a someone reputable around the LA area that could help me with the switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert campbell

If you keep the original bellhousing you don’t need a cable or hydraulic clutch.

You will need the Z bar and sometimes they are a bear around the exhaust manifolds or if you have headers. I have a Mustang used parts seller in my area that can provide most of the stuff. You will want a new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate.

I would not waste my time on a Toploader 4 speed and jump to a Tremac 5 speed. Modern Driveline out of Idaho is a great company and can package up al the arts. The cable clutch is an easy install and works great. Here is there link. Tell them Rob Campbell sent you their way.

https://www.moderndriveline.com/

If you go 4 speed let me know. My friend should have all the parts you need. We will need more info about you car such as power brakes or not.

Also Scott at West Coast Classic Cougars should have the manual conversion parts.

Rob

Rob