• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Have you been offered an interesting trade for your GT/CS?

classicsguy

It has happened to many of us I am sure.....Someone sees your car and says will you trade your car for this car? You go look at the car......liked it....you say let me think about it........go home ......check with your family and after careful cosideration you decide not to through with the trade because you realize that you have one of a kind car that were only made one model year and built 4118 of them. Please post your stories here...

Mustanglvr

A guy asked me to trade my GT/CS for his 89 Corvette straight across. It was dark blue with blue and white interior,T-top, the whole bit. It sure was pretty, but my blood runs Ford blue. :grin: :thumb:
My car is more rare and I like that also.

miller511

It wasn't a trade. But it was a bizarre experience. I was working in my yard a couple of years ago (garage door was open, CS parked in it) and some guy and his family, apparently on a spending spree after selling their home in the Silicon Valley and looking for homes out my way...in a brand new Suburban, kids in the back were tearing into the boxes that their new cell phones came in. Apparently trying to impress his wife (who was in the passenger seat), yells out at me from the curb and says he'll give me $30K for the Yenko in the garage. I corrected him, letting him know it wasn't a Camaro. He still wanted it. I told him it was not for sale.

He stopped and chatted for awhile. He actually turned out to be a pleasant guy (with a huge windfall of cash that was burning a whole in his pocket).

So, this brings up another question- Could you bring yourself to sell your CS (at current market prices)?

My answer right now is- I don't think I could do it. It means too much to me.

-Jeff

Diesel Donna

It has happened to many of us I am sure.....Someone sees your car and says will you trade your car for this car? You go look at the car......liked it....you say let me think about it........go home ......check with your family and after careful cosideration you decide not to through with the trade because you realize that you have one of a kind car that were only made one model year and built 4118 of them. Please post your stories here...

I didn't have to go home to think about it. A guy pulled up next to me at a red light (I was just leaving for the 1st annual Grass Valley BBQ). He was in a new Jag...said he would trade me straight across...I looked his car over, smiled and said, "I don't think so." :grin:

davidathans

when i was at sunrise ford...there was some talk of trading the CS for one of the new shelby GT500s....very tempting...but its just too tough of a decision...i think about it all the time when people ask me what i would sell it for....imagine a briefcase with 30,000 , 40,000, or 50,000 in it cash...that just might be enough to convince me...but will it ever happen...i dont think so

John McGilvary

Back in 85 I was offered 14K cash and a nice looking Chev truck for my CS.
It seemed like a very fair offer then, but the answer was thanks but no thanks.
Since then I have had many offers for my CS. In the last year or so the offers have been very high.

John

p51

No direct offers but someone left a note w/a phone # on my windshield when my car was parked in my driveway offering to buy it (no price mentioned and I never called). Also, I live in Silicon valley. About every 5th car seems to be a BMW. Anyway, what people estimate the car is worth tends to be very skewed. One guy guesstimated ~$70K or so. When I told him ~$24K he was genuinely surprised. Probably should have tried to sell it to him and then turned around and bought another one. :wink:

Chet Stevenson

I was filling mine up with gas and a guy pulls up in one of the new mustangs and starts playing the 50 question game. Come to find out he was one of the ford dealers and wanted to buy it, asked me about 3 times with a no on every response. I could see he was about to give me a offer so I had to cut him short and get out of there. :grin:

hookedtrout

In 1983 I took my CS to the Rick Warner Ford Mustang show in Salt Lake City. I ended up parked next to a guy that had a Shelby GT500KR convertible that had a factory original 2 speed rear end. At least he said it was factory and that they installed it in only a few and it didn't work all that well so they dropped the idea, similar to our Marchal lights I guess.

We visited throughout the show and after I took a trophy for having such a rare car "Special Interest Award" fitting I guess being a Special, anyway he came over and offered me $20,000 for the car. At 20 years old it was very tempting but I resisted and it still resides in my garage.

Cory

GTCSMustang

A little of topic but...
Last year I was picking up my son and daughter at school in my GT500KR and one of the parents offered to trade me a 390 GT/CS straight across (highland green). I declined and he offered me the car + cash, I still declined.

Scott

Stacey Enderle

Whenever I have my CS out back in 1976, everytime I'd even turn around, I'd be asked that very same question. "Is it for sale?" As soon as they say "Is it,.." I cut em off and say "NO, it's NOT for sale." This was up in Bottineu, ND. A border town from the Canadian border. There were quite a few who were getting down right pissed off and at the time my CS was still owned by my parents and I was afraid they were going to vandilize it, so I told my folks I don't dare drive it for fear of that. So for the time being they bought me a used 68 mustang for me to enjoy, until come the time I inherited it. I had it stored at my folk's place for the longest time and my older brother kept showing it to other people, I told him to stop doing that since it wasn't his car and my other brother who for awhile was buying old vintage cars, fixing them up and selling them. Well,...to make the long story short. As soon as they walked in to look at the car he put up for sale, suddenly they lose interest and zero in on my CS. It was very frustrating for him. As for my other brother, I ended up on having to come and get my CS, so that he couldn't sell it from under me. So when you look at my saying at the bottom "Lil red mustang hiding int he leaves". It's still in hiding until I can get it out for the summer of 2008 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of these lovely cars.

68 GTCS

Stacey--------Growing up in North Dakota, I know what you mean, I don't recall seeing many Mustangs, unless they were passing though. I'm sure it was an attention getter. " I " didn't ask if it was for sale, did I ??

Anyway, I was at the Good Guys car show in Ft. Collins CO. parked between two Street Rods, and I had a gentelman tell me that my car was probably the rarest car at the show. ( I know it wasn't) He said he had never seen one before but he had seen Shelbys etc. before. He asked what is it worth 70,000? I smiled and said, it is to me! :grin:

Stacey---I was in the Watford City area.

Kevin

Stacey Enderle

Stacey--------Growing up in North Dakota, I know what you mean, I don't recall seeing many Mustangs, unless they were passing though. I'm sure it was an attention getter. " I " didn't ask if it was for sale, did I ??

Anyway, I was at the Good Guys car show in Ft. Collins CO. parked between two Street Rods, and I had a gentelman tell me that my car was probably the rarest car at the show. ( I know it wasn't) He said he had never seen one before but he had seen Shelbys etc. before. He asked what is it worth 70,000? I smiled and said, it is to me! :grin:

Stacey---I was in the Watford City area.

Kevin

Kevin,

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that's a former ND resident who had to deal with that. Yes, you're right, seeing those cars is a rare sight up in ND. We got ours from Billings, Mont several years ago.