• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

MCA Rules

franklinair

OK, I have to admit my alzheimers kicked in today!! Someone e-mailed me about MCA rules/judging at MCA shows as far as classification, etc. My answer WAS going to be to contact Jeff Speegle for the info. BUT - I inadvertantly hit the 'Delete' button on my computer @ work.:icon_pani Most of our cars (I would guess) would go into the 'Occassional Driver' category, but I'm not sure of how they would be judged in the point system. Sorry I dropped the ball on this (whomever you are!):cry:

Neil (Forget Me Not) Hoppe

CALIF GIRL

Neil,

I was the one asking. I am going to Thunder in the Desert in October. It is an MCA judged show. I have never been to one before. I was not sure what category to enter in.

I sent in my entry as occassional driver, but then I was not sure it was correct.

I also asked another couple of people, but since we are in the forum now lets see what the general concensus is.

For those of you who have not seen my car it is in the gallery.

I drive it now and then, including from So Cal to Nor Cal for a BBQ. I will be driving from So Cal to Arizona for this show.

It does not have the original engine, but it is pretty much a stock 302. the paint was changed ( the door tag reflects the new color) the upholstery is original style but cloth. Valve covers are non stock. Radio is aftermarket, but in the dash with no modifications. That is about all the mods it has.

Anyone who would like to chime in all opinions are welcome.
Oh the reason I am going to this show is, a friend from Texas and a friend from Arizona will be there and it is a good excuse to go see them...

66hcs-conv

Hi Gang,

We are going to the "Thunder in the Desert" also, & I have entered our car in the "Peoples Choice" class.

Our Mustang is pretty nice, usually gets an award of some sort at shows, but I don't believe it is up to the MCA standards.

I got to the point where I am more concerend with driving & having fun with the car, than making sure all the correct paint stripes were on the driveshaft (for example).

Just my humble opinion.

Have fun! - Dave

hcsstang

I think that the occassional driven is ok. You will get points deducted for every thing that not for the 68 mustang. I don't know about radials for the occassional driven. Did you read Mustang Times the other month. One of the judges put on white gloves and check ed for brake dust. And that was for occassional driven class They didn't do that with me and I'm in concour trailered class. Good luck

Northern Pony

Calif Girl;
I believe occasional driver is the category to be in for your car. Your gallery does not show a completed engine bay, making it difficult to advise. From what I can see the judging would not like the newer wiring harness, and blue electric tie downs, also black hood hinges, and of course the upholstry and wheels. I am not an expert and definitely not criticising, just giving advice. My car is judged as stock; and I know the main things looked at are; correct oil filter, rad cap, carburator, spark plug wires, valve covers, radio, stereo speakers, etc.
Most people are surprised at the number of items found when judged by MCA.
At any rate shows are for fun and socializing, go and enjoy.
BoB

Bob G

A copy of the MCA rules for trailer and driven can be down-loaded from www.mustang.org If you are an MCA member. or I can copy them and send them out to who ever is intrested just cover postage 13 pages covers all 1967 to 1968 Ford Mustangs and GT/CS models.
Another contact would be national head judge Wally Shore (505) 299-4573 for specific questions.

hope this helps:
Bob Geco
krwaxbz@yahoo.com

case12

I have entered occassional driven with my GT/CS before - note that the rules say that occassional driven "aspires to be concours". Mine was judged more like concours with some slack (they spent 25 minutes on my car alone). In the future I intend to enter daily driven. My car carrys insurance all year long, has normal driver plates (not antique occassional drive plates), and I drive it around on weekends. (who drives their vintage mustang everyday except in california anyway?). So, my future MCA shows will be entered as daily driven, because that is how I have built my car - I dont want to paint over the original overspray under the car just because I cant get it to look clean enough for occassional driven or concours:icon_no: . My two cents. Casey

L8GR868

My car was just judged in the Mustang Stampede September 6th, and took gold. Yes they are judged by MCA judges. They went over it with a fine tooth comb. My car is close to modified, The judging sheet its a long list that is on a point deductions. Yes they want you to better your car for concorse. I still have more fun driving it than showing it.
You will need a fire extinguisher for the tech check and you will loose 1 point if you don't have the MCA sticker on a window.
Eric

Midnight Special

...A point off for not having an MCA sticker in the window?

Marion,
I hope what ever you do - ya do it for You. 'Sounds to me that you will have as much admiration, respect and friendship opportunity on the trip down there as the show itself :)

'Aint nothing wrong about your car!

CALIF GIRL

What is "close to modified"?
Thatis the sort of thing I am trying to find out. There are classes and modified is one of those classes. BUT if I were to go modified my car would be judged next to cars that are REALLY modified and resto mods.

I just find it all confusing, I would like to have my car in the class closest to where it belongs. I dont think I should go daily driver, because I really do not drive the car alot. But I do have the original black plates back on and it is insured.

But no matter what happens with the show and the class my car is in, the real reason I am going is to see some old friends, and have a good time.

J_Speegle

Another contact would be national head judge Wally Shore (505) 299-4573 for specific questions.....................

Just for the record ;) Wally's last name is Short

I sent in my entry as occassional driver, but then I was not sure it was correct.............................

I drive it now and then, including from So Cal to Nor Cal for a BBQ. I will be driving from So Cal to Arizona for this show.

It does not have the original engine, but it is pretty much a stock 302. the paint was changed ( the door tag reflects the new color) the upholstery is original style but cloth. Valve covers are non stock. Radio is aftermarket, but in the dash with no modifications. That is about all the mods it has...................

I just find it all confusing, I would like to have my car in the class closest to where it belongs. I dont think I should go daily driver, because I really do not drive the car alot. But I do have the original black plates back on and it is insured.............

Was watching the conversation and thought this might be the right time/place to post something.

Since you have a modified car and that you drive it fairly long distances from time to time I think you choose the right class.

As you have found, if the car is not a Concours or a show type modified car you have allot of choices and every car falls some where in between this class or that. By trying to make allot of members happy by offering allot of different classes it can become confusing.

I would suggest that when you stop at Classification (you last stop before you get placed on the show field) mention to them that this is your first time, your modifications and ask for their option since they will have a quick opportunity to look the car over. If they see that the choice was really off they will make a suggestion and help out.

Hope this helps a little

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I have a copy of Northeast Georgia Mustang Club show registration. They list a class "1964-73 MUSTANG MODIFIED (MILD)". "MILD" being defined as "stock appearing vehicle with modified engine changes including superchargers, wheel changes, interior modifications, small suspension changes, etc."
The MCA classifications list "DIVISION VII MODIFIED", class MA being 64 1/2 - 93. EXCLUDE UNDERCARRIAGE."

I would guess that CALIF GIRL's C/S would go in the "Occasional Driven" class and take any point deduction for non-stock items, such as the interior of her car (which by the way, I think looks cool). MCA calls it MODIFIED. I call it CUSTOM. We all tend to add our own personal touches to these cars - stereos, wheels, exhaust, whatever. The point being, build it the way YOU like it, and let the chips fall as they may. I build'em the way I like'em, staying close to original configuration - but not sacrificing my own preferences.
Just put'em in a show, and let other folks enjoy them as much as we do.

Neil

CALIF GIRL

Thanks to all you helped out here. I need to update my gallery. Since those pictures were uploaded I have changed the plates back to the original blacl plates the car came with, put chrome Styled Steel Wheels on, finally put the poere steering pump back on and rebuilt the rear axle, plus a few other things I had been wanting to do for a long time.
Thanks again to all.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

While we're on the subject of MCA Rules: I'm assembling the suspension on another '68, and the MCA rules pertaining to suspension states that the upper control arm should be 'natural' (unpainted). But the ORIGINAL one I removed is painted black (it still has the Ford factory tag on it). I've never seen an unpainted upper control arm, and I'm wondering whether to paint it or not. Any advice from our concourse experienced people?

Neil

J_Speegle

While we're on the subject of MCA Rules: I'm assembling the suspension on another '68, and the MCA rules pertaining to suspension states that the upper control arm should be 'natural' (unpainted). But the ORIGINAL one I removed is painted black (it still has the Ford factory tag on it). I've never seen an unpainted upper control arm, and I'm wondering whether to paint it or not. Any advice from our concourse experienced people?

Neil

IF the A arm has a paper "tag" on it is very likely that it was a service replacement item. And service replacements often vary (in finish, design and even look) from assembly line parts

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Jeff;
The existing tag is metal, triangular shaped. BUT - should the new replacement unit I'm installing be natural or black? Which poses another question: if service replacements could be different from original factory installed control arms, is MCA's ruling on 'natural' finish realistic? The lower control arms are specified as being black.:undecided

Neil