• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

4 way flasher

karolscali

hi guys i figured out my guage problem the instrument voltage regulator is faulty, i must have grounded out a guage installing the instrument panel. my 4 way flasher still not working, i have power going into the flasher, the signal lights work fine, but when i put on a signal when the 4 way flasher knob pushed in the signal light stops flashing. could the turn signal switch in the column could be the problem? (sometimes these problems create sleepless nites. )

franklinair

karolscali;
1.) Do the turn signals work OK when the Emerg Flasher switch is OFF?
2.) Do the 4 way flasher lights work OK when the Turn Signal Switch is OFF?

If the answers to these questions is Yes, you probably have a faulty Turn Signal Switch in the steering column. (Cost about $95)
If the Turn Signals work OK, and the Emerg Flashers work OK independently of one another you could leave well enough alone & save $$$ and work. Your choice. Chances are if you had need to use the Emerg Flashers, you would not have the Turn Signal selected anyway. And if you're driving, using your Turn Signals, you would not be using the Emerg Flashers. If you choose to have everything 100% correct then you will need to replace the Turn Signal Switch. According to the Wiring Diagram, the Turn Signal Switch is the ONLY common denominator for the two circuits.
I tried to duplicate your description on my CS (same for ALL '68's) and with the Emerg Flashers ON, the Turn Signal lever had no effect on the lights. All 4corners kept flashing. Hope this helps.
Neil Hoppe

P.S. The Instrument Voltage Regulator is a fairly common bugaboo. I recall that someone advertised a more modern (solid state) replacement unit but my memory fails me as to where to get one.