• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Suspension rebuilt...now a mystery.

miller511

Hi all,

I finished the front end suspension rebuild on the CS last night. I changed out the upper and lower control arms, springs, shocks, brake calipers, pads, etc.

I took it for a spin tonight for the first time. No more squeaks and noises from the front end, sweet!!!

Of course it can't all go well...

I noticed the steering wheel is not straight. It's angled maybe 1/8th of a turn to the right (pre rebuild it was dead on straight). Although it steers straight and doesn't pull, it seems like this shouldn't have happened since I didn't mess with the steering stuff. I even left it attached to the spindles. I'm just kind of stumped at this.

I'm guessing something changed with the geometry of the front end or something with the power steering?

any ideas why the steering wheel is not straight?

Of course I plan on taking it in to get an alignment sometime soon (and the alignment should fix this?)

Thanks for your help, Jeff

rvrtrash

You probably have the lower control arms adjusted incorrectly, and that will change your steering angles. Mention you want the steering wheel straight when you get your alignment and they can fix it for you.

Steve

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Thanks Steve.

Since the lower control arm uses that eccentric bolt and washer setup, that would make sense. It's the only part that I changed out that has any adjustment to it.

I'll have the alignment place straighten the steering wheel while it's at the shop.

-Jeff

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Another tidbit-

I finished the rear suspension on the CS last night...leaf springs and shocks.

I felt like a little kid trying to climb into the trunk to get at the upper shock nuts.

Took it for a spin today.

Wow, the difference in ride quality is remarkable. I don't think that most of these components have ever been replaced.

I went with the Grab-a-Track packages that Mustangs Plus sells (for both front and rear). Well worth the price.

Next up, the engine. What to do? Rebuild? Or crate? I have a 289 2V that really doesn't have much power...can hardly spin the tires!!!.The compression is good at 150 to 160 lbs. in each chamber. Maybe just do new aluminum heads, intake, carb, and headers?

Would appreciate input from any of you folks who have done this or are contemplating and have spec'd out a motor.

Thanks, Jeff

joedls

miller511 said:
Another tidbit-

I finished the rear suspension on the CS last night...leaf springs and shocks.

I felt like a little kid trying to climb into the trunk to get at the upper shock nuts.

Took it for a spin today.

Wow, the difference in ride quality is remarkable. I don't think that most of these components have ever been replaced.

I went with the Grab-a-Track packages that Mustangs Plus sells (for both front and rear). Well worth the price.

Next up, the engine. What to do? Rebuild? Or crate? I have a 289 2V that really doesn't have much power...can hardly spin the tires!!!.The compression is good at 150 to 160 lbs. in each chamber. Maybe just do new aluminum heads, intake, carb, and headers?

Would appreciate input from any of you folks who have done this or are contemplating and have spec'd out a motor.

Thanks, Jeff

I'm getting ready to replace my engine with a 347 stroker. 8.8:1 compression, forged pistons, hydraulic roller cam with .550/525 lift and 224/232 duration, port matched Dart Pro heads with 2.02/1.60 valves, and, of course my Holley 174 blower topped off with Mighty Demon 750 carb.

Last edited:
OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Joe,

What is your current engine? And what kind of HP does it put out with the supercharger?

Let me know who you go through to buy the 347 stroker. I saw these on summit racing's and ford racing's web sites. Sounds very tempting.

I'm thinking of an engine somewhere in the 300HP to 350HP range. Would that tear up my C-4 tranny?

-Jeff

joedls

Jeff,

My car currently runs a 302 with cast-iron heads and stock-sized valves. I don't know how many HP because I've never dyno'd it, but I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 325-350.

Check out www.tandlengines.com. They built the 347 that's in my convertible and are building the engine I'm about to put in my CS. They are very reasonably priced. If you call them, ask for Lloyd and tell him Joe DeLosSantos referred you. Although I think their strokers start at about 400 HP. But Lloyd is very helpful.

The C4 should do fine with 300 - 350 HP.