• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68 CS/GT on ebay

Tommy

Hi guys and gals. New here and new to the mustang thing, I been lookin at the 68 CS/GT for sale on ebay the one with a buy know of $21490. that has been restored. Any input on this? How come its hasn't sold yet? Help a new comer out. Thanks Tom

Mosesatm

It's a J-code which is great, it also has the bench front seat which is a super rare option.

It needs the stripes replaced, correct fog light pedestals, and the black cleaned off the tail light bezels. It also needs new rear springs.

To me it seems like a decent price if the car is as nice as the seller says it is. You won't turn it right around and make a profit on it at that price but it looks like you'll get a car you will be happy to drive.

p51

68gt390 said:
Arlie;
Which car are we looking at. If this is it, that's a Hump Hugger after market console that's been added not bench seats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4622959339

Don
If this is indeed the car that is being considered here's my input...

(1) Is there a Marti report (is it a real GT/CS)?
(2) Looks like it may need new rear leaf springs (its looks to be showing the "stang sag" in the back)... or maybe the original owner liked it that way.
(3) Is it a numbers matching car (good if you're buying it for investment)?
(4) If its in as good a condition as claimed then its a high-teens, pushing 20K car.
(5) And also, if it doesnt have disc brakes plan on spending some $s on getting that upgraded - its the one safety feature that I think is a "must have" if you plan to use it as a daily driver (my opinion).

Cheers!

mmarsalone

Hey guys,

I'm about 15 minutes from this place and have been there few times in my CS and on my Harley. I planned on going by today to take a look at this car. I'll try to give it a very good looking over so I can answer any questions you may have and I can get back during the week. It appears to have some sort of cruise control. Look at the turn signal stalk, and the vacuum tank in the engine bay. Does anyone know what the factory setup looked like?

OP
OP
T

Tommy

Been making offers on it started at $15000. I offered as high as 18500, but he won't budge. He wants $21500. So far I've been the highest bidder on ebay for his prior auctions, hope he will soften up a bit. I'm looking for a car for weekend fun, and something that will keep or improve on value. It has bucket seats not a bench, have to check on the disc brakes but thought it has them. Rear springs shouldn't be a problem to replace. Thanks for your input on this. Tom

OP
OP
T

Tommy

Hey Thanks Mike for stopping buy and looking at it. I will be eagerly awaiting your post. Tom

mmarsalone

Tom,

I went by and checked out this car today. It has a lot of documentation of the restoration that comes with it. The restoration was done by a man in Arizona that was started in 1993. There's many photos of the restoration process with almost a diary or journal of restoration period. There's entries of when he went to California or when he was too lazy or tired to work on the car. There's is a standard Marti report for the car, which I have a copy of. I never saw the original but I assume it's there. This car is in the second registry and comes with the second registry also. The credit card style warranty comes with the car and was found under the seat during the restoration. The car was originaly Lime Gold with Ivy Gold interior. The car DOES NOT have disc brakes. The paint appeared to be in good shape and didn't see any dings or scratches. The paint is not BC CC, but Enamel as from the factory. The car is more yellow than it appears in the pictures on Ebay. The underbody looked solid with with yellow overspray on it. It has a replacement 302 engine according to the documentation. It had 97K miles when it was bought in 1977, the speedo cable was replaced and the odometer was reset to zero during the resto. It has all of the correct metal tail light protectors but does not have the card board covers. It says relays were added to the rear brake / turn signals to take an electrical load off the TS switch.

The place was closing down as I got there about 10 minutes to 3:00. I didn't know they closed at 3:00. The gentleman, Scott who was working there (maybe owner) was very pleasant and turned all of the lights back on and showed me a most of the documentation. He kept the place open until about 3:20 for me as I checked things over. Then he came out and looked at my CS. He said he's had many calls on the car with some people nit picking the issues ( all you experts out there:grin: ).

Marti Report options:
California Special
C-4 Select Shift Auto
6.95 X 14 4 ply rated tires
WSW Tires
Power Steering
Air Conditioner - Selectaire
AM Radio
Tinted Glass
Deluxe Wheel covers

Built on March 1, 1968 - 5 days ahead of schedule.

Issues with car:

black on tail light bezels (easily removed)
Incorrect fog light pedastals
Grille surround is Argent color
67' front grille
Missing drip rail molding
Small holes on underside of hood for hood locks
Has 3rd. brake light installed in rear window.
Speakers cut in package tray
Has alarm system install on passenger fender apron
Has aftermarket cruise control system installed (wrong turn signal lever and vacuum assy. on driver's fender apron)
Incorrect heater valve and would have to check heater hose routing.
Power steering leak from control valve
Transmission leak from pan area
General interior detailing / cleaning

My impression of the car was that it was in generally good shape and the issues would not be difficult to correct. I think it's a car you could drive and correct these issues in time. You would probably spend as much time removing the add ons as you would fixing actual problems. Then it's just a matter of how concours you want to be before you're completely happy.

Tom, feel free to PM me if you would like to call me and talk.

OP
OP
T

Tommy

Hi Mike, its Sat around 8:30pm Dallas, TX time. Thanks for the review on the mustang. Would like to talk to you on my dime. If you want give me your phone # My home phone is 972-347-1744. I work swing shift with thurs, fri, sat off. So I'd have to talk in the A.M. or on my days off. My email is angieandtommy@cs.com. Again THANKS for your help. Tom Behrends

Gatorbait

Its a J-code with air, and sounds like a solid car. I think the price is very fair, given what we have seen from C code cars lately. If I wouldn't be sleeping in the garage with it, I would have already pulled the trigger. I wouldn't wait to long.

mmarsalone

gt bandit said:
This is an Excellent review on the car , well done Mike.

Next car i buy from St Louis , i will be knocking on your door for a little advice.
Bandit,

Thanks, I'm always happy to help out. One thing I remembered since the post is that the grilles on the side scoops are not correct. They appear to be home made and since complete holes couldn't be drilled at the edges, they are solid at the edges.

Gatorbait

I don't understand why a J-code with air, that appears to be in decent shape, sits around at 21k and the C-codes are bringing close to that everyday.

390cs68rcode

Gatorbait said:
I don't understand why a J-code with air, that appears to be in decent shape, sits around at 21k and the C-codes are bringing close to that everyday.

I think it all depends on the car and presentation.