• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rearend Swap

tworings

I have heard that the 65 & 66 mustang rearend housings are about an inch shorter overall than the 67 & 68 mustang rearends. Leaving a little more space for wider tires and rims without the hassle of having the rearend cut and new axles made. I have a 68 coupe and a friend who wants to sell me a 65 rearend. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this sort of swap and if it works and what all is involved in the swap. ie does it just bolt in and what about the brakes and brake lines?

Thanks for the help!

Stan

rvrtrash

I don't know the measurements but if the rear end is narrower (and it probably is because Mustangs grew in '67) then the spring mounts are probably in the wrong place as well and would have to be cut off and rewelded. I think the easiest fix would to buy some wheels with a different offset. You have to buy new wheels for bigger tires anyway, right?

Steve

franklinair

I would not recommend swapping an early model ('65/66) rear end into your
'68 for the reasons mentioned above. Steve's recommendation of offset wheels would be better. If you're looking for a different axle ratio, stick with 67 thru 73 rears. Hope this helps.
Neil Hoppe

joedls

I don't know the measurements but if the rear end is narrower (and it probably is because Mustangs grew in '67) then the spring mounts are probably in the wrong place as well and would have to be cut off and rewelded. I think the easiest fix would to buy some wheels with a different offset. You have to buy new wheels for bigger tires anyway, right?

Steve

I agree with Dad that the easiest thing to do is to get the correct backspacing on the wheels. But if you're intent on swapping rearends, all 65-73 Mustangs had the spring perches in the same location so you should be able to bolt it on. I don't know about the brake lines, though.

nfrntau

Here is a list of 9" rear end sizes. Something else to consider is that late model rims have a lot of back spacing and can use a wider rear end. I used a 1972 Mustang rear end for my car.
I will be running a late model rim with a 275 series tire on the rear.

Attachments

• 9 inch rear ends.jpg
    9 inch rear ends.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 21