• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'68 Trans Am Mustang Driving Lights Question

P

PNewitt

This is a tough one.

I'm trying to find a racing link to the GT/CS, through the use of drivng lights within the lower valance of these Trans Am Mustangs.

I've attached a photo to see if anyone might know what they used--Marchal or Lucas lights. This is a fuzzy photo from an old "early '68" Motor Trend book (Automotive Yearbook). It's an artsy speckle image--so that is why it looks like this. This could be late 1967, or early '68 racing season.

I sent an e-mail to the "usual suspects" (LOL) over at SAAC and a Trans Am website, too. They gave it their best shot, but they're not sure...

So...it's your turn. Who knows this? Lucas or Marchal?
Just remember...."Our" racing heritage depends on it!!

thanks for trying,

Paul N.

Attachments

• transam.jpg
    transam.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 58

J_Speegle

Looks like a 67 Paul. See the side scoops.

In any case the lights would have been specific to that car since the Trans Am cars didn't come with them from Shelby. Did look at the list and none were shown as well as a fair number of original pictures that don't show them on those cars

somethingspecial

I have to agree with Jeff, they are 67's, Now, as far as the lights go, here is one for you to try. Up close they almost look like Lucas. I pushed away from the screen about 6 to 8 feet, and the lights began to take on the shape and look of Marchal's. Try it and see what you think. Mike

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I have to agree with Jeff, they are 67's, Now, as far as the lights go, here is one for you to try. Up close they almost look like Lucas. I pushed away from the screen about 6 to 8 feet, and the lights began to take on the shape and look of Marchal's. Try it and see what you think. Mike

YOU TOO? LOL! If you look back, they have that sorta triagluar look in the lens, but the shape is truly oval.

Based on what Jeff says, SAAC, and even a Mustang Trans-Am racing group; it's possible that these are privately-run '67 racers? Maybe since the '68 Shelby team had to use Ford built engines, the "private" HiPo '67's still ran out there at the time? I'll keep looking. Regardless of the sponsor, I'd like to know for the sake of racing history.

I already know that the Marchals were used on some of the Ford GT-40s, but I'm trying to draw a line from Shelby and typical racing parts of that period--to the fog light parts choices for the GT/CS (and Cougar XRG).

"Someone" at Shelby hand-picked the lights they used (Marchal/Lucas) at that time, because they were "race-proven". I want to know how that happened.

Thanks!!

Paul.

BroadwayBlue

Why do I always take these type of posts as a challenge to go on a Google Treasure Hunt? :grin:

I didn't find anything ... yet ...

But I found this picture below ... it's very CS-ish isn't ?

Grill, looks like scoops on the side, hood pins (probably a racing requirement).
Of course you could say this is Shelby-ish instead but I like to tihnk it's more CS-ish. It's a coupe and there were no Shelby coupes so I'm told :wink:

This is a 67 Mustang which was part of the Ford factory SAAC (Shelby) team which ran in '67 in the US. Imported and raced by Norman Barry / Frank Bryan and sold to Dawson late '67, to replace his earlier car. (Pic Dale Mathers)
http://www.nzmustang.com/History/Racecars/ThirtyfiveDawson-2.JPG

Attachments

• ThirtyfiveDawson-2.jpg
    ThirtyfiveDawson-2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 27