• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Quieter Exhaust System

Mosesatm

Driving to Steve's house this weekend I decided that my J-code is too loud. Yes, I'm getting old and conservative!

The system consists of stock exhaust manifolds and stock 2" pipes with some fairly short turbo mufflers. So far I've come up with two options to quiet it down.
1. Replace them with longer quieter turbo-type mufflers (Walker Quiet Flow?)
2. Install resonators or glass-packs in front of the existing mufflers similar to those found on some '66 Mustangs with dual exhaust.

Does anyone have other ideas on how to quiet this thing down? I don't like idea, or the look, of the stock '68 transverse muffler so that's off the table.

In a perfect world I'd like something that is fairly quiet until I stomp on the gas, then it can roar if it needs to.

Am I again looking for something that doesn't exist?

Thanks for your insights.

Attachments

• 66 Hi-Po.jpg
    66 Hi-Po.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

CougarCJ

Are your existing mufflers two chamber?

I have the Walker Dyno-Max turbo mufflers on my J code Cougar. Full length system, exiting at the rear valance. I am using 1969 351W stock cast iron exhaust manifolds.
These are 3 chamber mufflers, low rumble, and no droning at a specific rpm. I would have to measure my muffler length, I don't see a part number on the receipt.

stangfan

I have the Walker Dyno-Max Turbos on mine also. I had my system built at a local exhaust shop, and also had them put a Walker H-pipe on. Love the sound of it and it only gets loud when you tromp the loud pedal. Around town it is a nice throaty sound. Even cruising on the highway it's not too loud. :grin:

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Are your existing mufflers two chamber?

I have the Walker Dyno-Max turbo mufflers on my J code Cougar. Full length system, exiting at the rear valance. I am using 1969 351W stock cast iron exhaust manifolds.
These are 3 chamber mufflers, low rumble, and no droning at a specific rpm. I would have to measure my muffler length, I don't see a part number on the receipt.

The ones on the car must be two chamber, and they are very short. I haven't yet looked for a brand but they remind me of Thrush.
I need to jack up the car tonight to inspect something on the steering system so also check the mufflers.

The mufflers are 13" long and have 775422 cast into them, along with 33510, and Made in USA. According to Google they are probably Cherry Bombs or IMCO mufflers, basically Flow Master 40 series copies..

Last edited:

Maine gt/cs

I Put Hush Thrush Turbos on my J-code last year. I went to 2 1/2 inch full length without the h pipe. Great mellow tone at idle. When you give her some, great sound and not to loud at all. I had a set on my 73 Comet GT back in the late 70's and liked them.

Tim

robert campbell

The ones on the car must be two chamber, and they are very short. I haven't yet looked for a brand but they remind me of Thrush.
I need to jack up the car tonight to inspect something on the steering system so also check the mufflers.

The mufflers are 13" long and have 775422 cast into them, along with 33510, and Made in USA. According to Google they are probably Cherry Bombs or IMCO mufflers, basically Flow Master 40 series copies..

They are Flowmaster 2 chamber 40 series mufflers. My wife says I am on the Flowmaster frequent buyer program. All my cars have them!! Louder is better!!!! Faster is cooler!!! Both my cars have the 3 inch variety 40 series 2 chambers. Val's car is so loud it scares the paint and the undergarments off the people next to me!!

Rob

lnevill

Perfect solution

Add a set of QTP or RaceReady electric cutouts in front of the quietest mufflers you like. I've had more fun being able to open the headers at a stop light from inside the cab and then close them up when you want to talk! Really makes the ricers think twice....

Lee

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Well, it's certainly good that I don't succumb to peer pressure!:grin:

BroadwayBlue

I have Original 40 Series Flowmasters on my CS.

They are loud and I keep saying I want to change them to something quieter one day ... but they're still there. Probably at the disappointment of my neighbors :grin: