• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 theft attempt/vandalism/disabled car

ratrodgta

Hi guys/gals: Some s.o.b. tried to hotwire/steal my car....he punched out and enlarged the ignition cylinder hole. He cut the hell out of the wiring harness, stripping about 10 wires back to bare copper, preparing to hotwire. He cut the fog light wires. I am having the insurance adjuster look at the car. They said that they will do the repair estimate based on "pre-loss" condition. Anyone have any advice-precautions-similar predicaments-ideas-information? It is sad, because everything in this car is totally original-unmolested, numbers matching, etc.

Ruppstang

I am sorry to hear of your trouble. I would send your harness to Midlife Harness Repair. http://midlifeharness.com.
Randy will do a good job repairing it and check every connection on the harness. I would repaint the entire dash after the metal repairs are done. I know this all stinks but your car will be better than it was when it is finished.
Best of luck dealing with the insurance company.
Marty

robert campbell

I do not have any suggestions on the insurance side, but the hard part will be a repair or a replace of the main harness. To remove, have it fixed professionally and replace it will be costly. To have a competent shop repair it in place should be possible and will be far cheaper.

Your job will be to convince the insurance company that you are not comfortable with an "in-place" repair and that it will devalue your car. In my mind, the in-place repair will not devalue your car.

To fix the ignition hole is another subject. You will need a "doner" piece from another car. You will need to remove most if not all of the dash. That will make the remove of the main harness a lot easier.

Hopefully you can convince the insurance company that to fix the key hole the harness needs to be removed. To me that should be an easy sell as the wiring is laying all around the key hole next to the welding operation.

Where do you live and do you have any competent shops in your area, or do you plan to try to fix it your self?

Rob

CougarCJ

I hate to hear stories like that. Stupid criminals, fortunately they don't know what they are doing. Glad that they didn't get your car.

A slim jim, jumper wire, and a screw driver ............. Oh, wait, never mind. :icon_lol:

Mosesatm

Reproduction dashes are available, I'd rather get one from a wrecking yard, though.

CougarCJ

1967 and 1968 dashes are different. Make sure you get a 1968 Mustang dash.

OP
OP
R

ratrodgta

Hi again: Thanks for all the ideas and advice ! Keep them coming.....I am in Portland. I am thinking of telling the adjuster that I want an original '68 dash, and original wiring harness. Also an original foglight switch, and anything else that was damaged under the dash. Should I also ask them to "key" the new ignition switch to match the door key, just thinking....I have never made a claim before, it's new to me.

Ruppstang

The differences are settle the big one is about 1/4 inch in length of the ash tray. I have wondered why Ford made theses changes.

I think the key hole area would be the same.

CaliStang68

So what happened, that he couldn't steal it (thank goodness)? did you catch him or somebody scare him off? where did this happen at, your house or while running errands? POS, SOB I hope they catch him! Sorry for you and your car!

robert campbell

Hi again: Thanks for all the ideas and advice ! Keep them coming.....I am in Portland. I am thinking of telling the adjuster that I want an original '68 dash, and original wiring harness. Also an original foglight switch, and anything else that was damaged under the dash. Should I also ask them to "key" the new ignition switch to match the door key, just thinking....I have never made a claim before, it's new to me.

I assume Portland Oregon? A good shop should be able to graft in just the key hole area without replacing the entire dash. Can you provide a pic of the damaged key hole area?

Yes you would want the ignition key to match the doors. I assume the thief ruined the tumbler when jerking the ignition out. So in this case you may need to replace the door locks at the same time. I have not found many local lock smiths that can re key a tumbler to match a different key in the Seattle area. Maybe someone else has had this done.

Rob

Ruppstang

I assume Portland Oregon? A good shop should be able to graft in just the key hole area without replacing the entire dash. Can you provide a pic of the damaged key hole area?

Yes you would want the ignition key to match the doors. I assume the thief ruined the tumbler when jerking the ignition out. So in this case you may need to replace the door locks at the same time. I have not found many local lock smiths that can re key a tumbler to match a different key in the Seattle area. Maybe someone else has had this done.

Rob

I am with Rob, the ignition area should be able to be sectioned in by a body shop.
It is not that difficult to match a existing key to the new lock cylinder. IMHO changing the door locks would be a lot more work.
Marty

robert campbell

Marty,
I have had zero luck in my area getting a lock smith to do that. Even with all the locks in his hand. The 1967 Firebird I did last year had a different key for the ignition and the doors. Ended up buying a complete lock set for the entire car. Actually not very expensive, but as you indicate, a pia to get the door locks out.

Rob

http://www.cjponyparts.com/door-loc...m_term=1101201852144&utm_content=All Products

rvrtrash

Next time Rob, I've got a guy here in my town that can do it. Mail it to me and I'll get it taken care of for you. Or better yet, bring it with you when you come to visit! :wink:

Steve

OP
OP
R

ratrodgta

I am in Portland,Oregon, a looooong way from Loooooong Beach, (Cali, not Washington) where the car was originally sold. Why people keep moving here is a mystery (misery?) to me. Property & small business taxes here are outrageous, infill housing, endless traffic jams, potholes galore, homeless and drug addict crimes.....puke..... Anyway, The thief slashed the car cover, then sat there trying to hotwire the car. A pro would have taken it without the vandalism. I am meeting with the adjuster next week, after we thaw out !

robert campbell

Next time Rob, I've got a guy here in my town that can do it. Mail it to me and I'll get it taken care of for you. Or better yet, bring it with you when you come to visit! :wink:

Steve

Gosh, a real locksmith!! None in my area..... Thanks for the info!

Rob

CougarCJ

I am in Portland,Oregon, a looooong way from Loooooong Beach, (Cali, not Washington) where the car was originally sold. Why people keep moving here is a mystery (misery?) to me. Property & small business taxes here are outrageous, infill housing, endless traffic jams, potholes galore, homeless and drug addict crimes.....puke..... Anyway, The thief slashed the car cover, then sat there trying to hotwire the car. A pro would have taken it without the vandalism. I am meeting with the adjuster next week, after we thaw out !

Mine also was sold in Long Beach, California. Mel Burns Ford.

OP
OP
R

ratrodgta

Mine too, 2000 Long Beach Blvd. Having any OC beach town as the dealership is really boss - e.g. Huntington or Redondo; very cool dealership locations to have on a Marti Report ! Especially if you were/are part of; or afficionado of, the LA/OC beach culture. At the risk of boring y'all ----- I used to ride my bike from Long Beach to Huntington Beach before I owned a car--- peak identity experience always..... Last summer when a guy that I met told me he had a GT/CS for sale, I knew I had to have it, esp. when I saw the original owner's manual, signed, and the Long Beach Mel Burns license plate frames.

robert campbell

In 1977 I was a new Sheet metal Mechanic at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard up here in Bremerton and Long Beach Naval shipyard needed some help. I spent 2 months from Late October to just before Christmas in Long Beach. I took my brothers 1972 Suzuki 750 GT Lemans down there for transportation.

I rode from Long Beach down to Huntington Beach a few times. What a beautiful ride on a bike. It was 97 degrees on Thanksgiving day. In 1977 Long Beach was a bit run down. My wife spent a week in Long Beach last year. It is very nicely done now!!

Rob