• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

HCS and Cal Special

Calspecialdreamer

Hi gang,

Recently a beautifu 68 HCS and a nice California Special were advertised on Ebay. I would like to know if anyone bid on them and if not, why not? (besides no $$$!) Someone "Bought it now" for 15K (the HCS) but the Cal Special did not meet the minimum. I'm just curious, as I was waiting on the last day to bid on the HCS (even tho I would rather have a Cal Special) and someone paid the asking price. It seems to me a 68 HCS would be MORE valuable than a Cal Special. 251 made. Any comments? I know Paul is out there......

bish

This is a intresting topic for discussion. Being that I own a 68HCS I've found this puzzling myself.

I'd have to agree with the fact that the HCS should be more, but that seems not to be the case with any published prices I have found. It may have to do with the fact that the GT/CS is a more popular model because it is known by more people than the HCS.
Also the association with California I believe adds "romance" to the car.

Allthough the HCS has been listed in the past in a major Ford mag as one of ten rare fords that people should know more about, it still does not get the respect it deserves in the price catagory, IMHO.

I also know that right now I could go out and choose from approx. 20 GT/CS's nationwide to purchase right now, but a HSC only comes up for sale only a couple times a year. I don't know if I agree with the published prices because you can't find any HCS cars to justify the pricing. This throws the value of the HCS off, again IMHO

68sunlitgold

bish,
In a talk between Winston and Bob Teets, he came to the conclusion that the HCS was not as high in value as the GT/CS because it is too rare. What he is saying is that not as many people know about the HCS so its value suffers because of it, where as the CS is known and seen more often therefore its rarity is reflected in the price. In my opinion, the HCS will increase in value and pass the CS in the future because of things like the internet and ebay are getting the car more visibility and notoriety.
Doug

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'd agree with that. If people haven't heard of the HCS before they may approach it with some skepticism.

rjw

Mmm...I wonder if we will see the day when someone makes a HCS clone out of a GT/CS car?

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

Gang,

Well, you can look at Wintsons' price guide (and it seems very accurate) but the HCS really blew the Cal Special away on that day! I will continue to search for a Cal Special, but the temptation of a 68 HCS just won't go away for me! I can't imagine owning a car that only had 251 made, and even less still around! But no one has said they bid on those cars yet, so did anyone?

DSO51

I was the lucky person who ended up with the HCS that was posted on E-bay. I did a lot of research and was helped out considerably by the person who orignally owned it and restored it.

Being from Denver, the car also held a higher value for me than the CS.

DSO51

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the site DSO51 and congrats on your new toy! :)

bish

Yes, My car is in the gallery. You can also click on my profile and find a link to another persons web site who has pictures of my HCS on it. Its a pretty interesting site that has info on limited production Stangs.

To DSO51,
Congrats on your purchase. Welcome to the club!
From the pictures I saw of your car, it looks like a winner. Maybe you can post some on the gallery for all to enjoy.
[quote author=CalGTCSdreamer link=board=1;threadid=277;start=0#msg1381 date=1048816749]
Oh yea,

Bish, do you have pictures in the gallery of your HCS?

[/quote]

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

DSO51,
Yes, Congratulations on a beautiful car! Have you picked it up yet? I emailed the prior owner to ask some questions and he said he had bought a new mustang. What timing on your part! Did you drive it home or trailer it? What a great find...

DSO51

[quote author=CalGTCSdreamer link=board=1;threadid=277;start=0#msg1391 date=1048863146]
DSO51,
Yes, Congratulations on a beautiful car! Have you picked it up yet? I emailed the prior owner to ask some questions and he said he had bought a new mustang. What timing on your part! Did you drive it home or trailer it? What a great find...

[/quote]

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I have yet to pick it up. I will be trailering it back to Denver from Topeka this weekend.
After I get it in the corral I will make sure to post some pics.

DSO51

OP
OP
C

Calspecialdreamer

SWEET RIDE BISH! I also enjoyed the website. I seem to hunger more and more for info on CS, HCS, and maybe even Ski Specials! I am sooooo glad I stumbled on this site! Kudos Jon!!!...

bish

[quote author=CalGTCSdreamer link=board=1;threadid=277;start=0#msg1403 date=1048883444]
SWEET RIDE BISH! I also enjoyed the website. I seem to hunger more and more for info on CS, HCS, and maybe even Ski Specials! I am sooooo glad I stumbled on this site! Kudos Jon!!!...

THANKS! ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

DSO51

[quote author=CalGTCSdreamer link=board=1;threadid=277;start=15#msg1405 date=1048885196]
DSO51

Do you plan on showing the HCS, driving it, or what? Also, do you have other mustangs or cars?

[/quote]
I plan on both. It needs just a few small things to make it just right for show. I firmly believe cars are meant to be enjoyed and therefore, I plan on driving it - on nice days of course.
My other cars are: 72 Mustang Conv. (pleasure) and 1992 BMW 735i (daily driver).

For what it's worth, I feel that the comparative values and desire of the HCS vs. the GT/CS is based on:
1. Knowledge of the car
2. The passion of the memory of that car
3. Speculation in the buyers mind of future value

I've always thought that any collectible is only as valuable as the presence of those who remember it. The greater the memory (and good times associated), the higher the value. You don;t see too much excitement about Model T Fords, because those who remember having them, have passed on (not that the Model T isn't a cool collectible car). You could say this about all Mustangs. The '64 1/2 Convertible collectors may not be into '71 Boss 351 cars, etc..etc..

Some Mustang collectors are looking for something unusual to bring to meetings and car shows--and the HCS is such a car, especially out of Colorado. A conversation piece. The GT/CS inspires the California car culture of that time, visions of beaches, hot rodding, L.A., etc... So, it's a personal preference.

On the other hand, the six cylinder, or bench seat option was very rare in 1968, but the rarity doesn't seem to push desireability--by comparison. It's all in a personal passion, or what seems to be a trend in collecting.

Just my two bits.

Paul.