• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Ford small block cylinder head info and specs

obwan93001

I was just catching up on a few threads and saw the one asking about putting on '66 289 heads on a '68 289 and remembered that I had two old scans I'd found last yr on the Carbd Ford Forums while doing some research that might be useful here. I apologize if I already posted these somewhere else here or if someone else has but this section is the best place for them and I didn't see anything like them here. They contain the casting numbers and yrs used and associated info like combustion chamber and valve sizes.

The first attached PDF is for the '62-'80 221ci-351Wci heads and the second one covers the '79-'00 302ci-351Wci heads.

Oscar

**EDIT: Added the actual pics of the two scans from the Carbd Ford Forums below. You should be able to right click on each one and either save as or print to PDF if you have that ability or add to a Word doc and save, whatever suits your needs.

Oscar

Heads.jpg

album_pic.php

Attachments

• Ford Heads Casting Numbers and Specs 221-351W 62-80.pdf
    285 KB · Views: 81
  • Ford Heads Casting Numbers and Specs 302-351W 79-00.pdf
    69.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Mosesatm

Check out the volume difference between the '68 2V and 4V heads (63 vs. 53.5).
The 289 2V heads create a compression ratio of roughly 8.5, while the 302 4V heads are in the 9.5 range.

Hawkrod

Check out the volume difference between the '68 2V and 4V heads (63 vs. 53.5).
The 289 2V heads create a compression ratio of roughly 8.5, while the 302 4V heads are in the 9.5 range.

That was why Ford marked them! The 68 4V heads are a nice little bump on 302's. Hawkrod