• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 windshield washer floor trigger pedal

daveS

Hey guys,

I picked up a J code GT/CS last summer and have been doing my best to keep it minty :smile: I noticed after I bought the car that there was a small pedal just above the bright light floor switch and below drivers side A/C vent. This footpedal is attached under the dash. I had asked some of the guys at Mustang Ranch in Santa Clara what that pedal was, and they told me they thought it was just a foot rest. So just last weekend I was driving the car, and I stepped on this footpedal. When I pushed a little harder, the pedal depressed and the windshield wipers swiped across the windshield. So, it looks like this car was equipped with some kind of windshield, intermittent wiper device. I had no idea this was an option. Could it have been added aftermarket ? It looks factory to me. Anyone know anything about these ?

Here are some pics of the car by the way (this is not the original grille but I do have the original stored in my garage) ....
GTCS1.jpg

GTCS3.jpg

GTCS4.jpg

DSCN4239.jpg

69ee_1.jpg

BSDlwB2kKGrHgoOKjUEjlLmTEG6BKBMrDDj.jpg

Oh,and I posted in the classifieds, but I also need a new steering wheel or a restoration of mine if you guys have any leads on that.

Thanks !
-Dave

Midnight Special

...Wow! Nice Car!!

That wiper pedal is the real deal and stock on '68s. I only wish they would've continued through '69 & 70 as it's the best intermittent wiper feature I've seen on any car, new or old! :)

CougarCJ

My friend used to have fun with people back in the day with his 1968.

He would tell them that his car had an automatic windshield system, when enough water hit the glass the wipers would cycle. :grin:

Midnight Special

My friend used to have fun with people back in the day with his 1968.

He would tell them that his car had an automatic windshield system, when enough water hit the glass the wipers would cycle. :grin:

Oh yeah, they're great fun. You could also tell people they are voice command. With both hands on the wheel - tap the pedal whenever your passenger sneezes ;-)

OP
OP
D

daveS

Cool.

Thanks for chiming in here. I didn't know that this was a stock feature on '68s. As always, I learn something every time I come to this website.

So this little pedal in my car does not have a rubber pad on the part that your foot presses on...its just bare metal. I wonder if there is was a rubber pad that goes over the pedal or is it just supposed to be bare metal ?

I'll have to try the voice command next time I get a few people in the car....the auto wiper for when the windshield gets wet probably won't work for me, because I never take the car out in the rain or wet weather :smile:

Midnight Special

Dave, only one of mine has the rubber pad, so I believe they came with one (others here will know...) It looks to be a type that would slip off and get disposed of easily with time...

Timmknz

Check your owners manual

Get a reproduced owners manual cheap, I think the information on the windshield washer pedal is in there....

Mosesatm

Cool.

Thanks for chiming in here. I didn't know that this was a stock feature on '68s. As always, I learn something every time I come to this website.

So this little pedal in my car does not have a rubber pad on the part that your foot presses on...its just bare metal. I wonder if there is was a rubber pad that goes over the pedal or is it just supposed to be bare metal ?

I'll have to try the voice command next time I get a few people in the car....the auto wiper for when the windshield gets wet probably won't work for me, because I never take the car out in the rain or wet weather :smile:

You can say, "Clean Window" then press hard on the lever.

It helps to point out the dirty window to the passengers so they are looking at it instead of your feet.

OP
OP
D

daveS

Love the color.

Yeah it looks bad ass...its actually Poppy Red which looks more orange than red. It's one of the only non-orginal items on the car (at least from what I can tell). I think it was done right because you really cannot tell the color was changed when you look inside and underneath everything. It's actually really a shame they didn't make Poppy Red GT/CSs because it really looks great on this car ! (trying not to be biased) :grin:

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Yup, that feature came on all '68's (and '67's too if I'm not mistaken). I'm surprised Mustang Ranch didn't know that. Do they specialize in late models or something?

Anyway, they did have a rubber pad over the pedal. Here's one: http://www.cjponyparts.com/product....rchant&utm_campaign=shopping&bhcd2=1279335867

Very nice car with some great options. You should be proud.

PS - Have you tried the high beams yet? That red light-up pony on the dash cluster is right up there on the cool scale with the foot operated wipers. :smile:

BroadwayBlue

Nice looking car!!!!

I didn't know about that pedal either when I first got my CS.
I used to use it as a dead pedal, assuming that's what it was.

Funny thing was I couldn't figure out why when I had to brake hard the wipers would go on. I assumed there was some kind of short or crossed wire somewhere. :rolleyes:

At some point I figured out it was the pedal and when I stopped hard my foot would press down on that pedal without realizing it, activating the wipers. :grin:

Now when it rains that's how I run my wipers. Very rarely do I turn on the wipers using the switch. Great intermittment feature!