• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

rear quarter extensions

Gary Page

Hello, I have a 68 J code cloning to a cailfornia special.( wish I had the real deal) anyway the quarter extensions i purchased like a lot to be desired as far as fit is concerned. I know there is a certain amount of fitting required but this is going to be a pain. My quater panels are orginial and fit the factory deck lid as well as the fiberglass lid. The extensions are the issue. just wondering if anyone has a source where I might buy another set that has worked for them.
Thanks,
Gary
(new member, first time user)

robert campbell

Gary,
Tony Branda has some of the best fiber glass I have ever worked with. Of note there are a couple versions of these extensions. One to fit a car without the installation of the GT/CS tailights. And one to fit with the tailight panel.

I have a set of the sheetmetal that covers the holes the cut in the stock tailight panel to fit the installation of the GT/CS taillight panel.

You should call them first and explain what you are doing. The Shelby convertible trunk lid will work, but it has holes for the Shelby letters.

Have you consdered putting the 1968 Shelby nose and hood on your car? I have considered it before! It looks great!! You could build a Shelby coupe clone and it would be a huge hit in the modified crowd.

Of course be ready for the some flak from the puriest people. Tim on our site has a beautiful GT/CS clone. He represents it for what it is and it is cool!!

http://www.cobranda.com/19shspendcap2.html

Go for it!! I built a 1967 GT/CS coupe clone so to speak. Did not use the script, just the stripes, side scoops and trunk lid. No tail lights. Put a 69 Mach I hood scoop on it and a front air dam. Loved the look!! It was a obvious clone, so no one gave me much trouble.

Welcome aboard!!!

Rob

Mosesatm

As Rob mentioned, here is a GT/CS (sort of) with a Shelby nose.

Attachments

• shelby_exp500_7551912424363a53dfba_13.jpg
    shelby_exp500_7551912424363a53dfba_13.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 46

CougarCJ

I am pretty sure that there are different quarter extensions for fastbacks and coupe/convertibles.

You would not want a the fastback extensions for a GT/CS or a 1968 Shelby convertible.

Just covering the basics.

robert campbell

Arlie,
I wanted to do this to my GNS! When I put the blower on. The hood is taller than stock, but not tall enough darn it.

So I went with the custom "ram jet" hood from Mustang's Plus.

Gary,
This is the hood on my car. How about a Boss 429 look?

DSCN6258.jpg

Rob

robert campbell

Scott,
To the best of what I have read, the Shelby convertible trunkl lid and endcaps work well on a coupe. Except for the holes in the spoiler face. I haves seen some discussion on a hole for a trunk light (exterior decor group stuff from 1967 like the underhood light??) that may not be concurs for a GT/CS.

As Gary is building a clone this should not be important.

Is there a difference in basic fit between a coupe and convertible trunk lid? A stock one?

Rob

CougarCJ

Rob, I was pointing out that the sloping body lines of the fastback make the end caps (quarter extensions) slightly different than on a coupe. The tops (from the side view) will be angled up, rather than basically flat.

Convertibles and coupes would share the same caps. Unless the 1968 Shelby convertible's had something special about them.

robert campbell

Cool!! I knew the fastbacks were different but thought the convertible stuff might work for him.

PFSlim

I used Tony Branda for our build. They were great pieces, but still require work. Ours needed several layers of fiberglass resin to build out to match the rear quarters. I think any replacements are going to be work.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
G

Gary Page

Thanks for the advice, I'll try a set from Branda and make them work.
Gary