• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Rack & pinion steering

joedls

Anyone here have experience with any of the bolt-on rack and pinion set-ups being sold? I'm thinking of going this route. I'd like one I can use with my stock steering column and one that won't increase my turning radius. I have to find out which one my father-in-law used. He ended up taking it off because it increased his turning radius so much.

CougarCJ

I drove a friends car with a power rack and pinion set up.

Didn't care for it so much, wider turning radius, and lack of road feel. If they could maintain the turning radius and dial back the amount of 'power' I would have liked it better. Not a fan of one finger power steering. Maybe a variable power steering would be better for me?

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

robert campbell

Joe,
That is one impressive article. I was thinking about this for my car. I cheaper option and if you have your stock pump and brackets a great value.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=104

I put one on a 1966 Fairlane, but have not had a chance to try it out yet. No assist ram, no header clearance problems, great ground clearance, standard steering throw/feel, and mates right up to a stock steering column.

Rob

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

Joe,
That is one impressive article. I was thinking about this for my car. I cheaper option and if you have your stock pump and brackets a great value.

I put one on a 1966 Fairlane, but have not had a chance to try it out yet. No assist ram, no header clearance problems, great ground clearance, standard steering throw/feel, and mates right up to a stock steering column.

Rob

When do you expect to try this out, Rob? I'd he interested in your feedback.

Ruppstang

I have a friend in my car club who installed the Borgensen system in his 68 S code fast back and likes it very much. He races a 08 Roush so I trust what he says. Marty

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

I have a friend in my car club who installed the Borgensen system in his 68 S code fast back and likes it very much. He races a 08 Roush so I trust what he says. Marty

Thanks for the feedback, Marty.

How about you, Rob? Gonna be driving that Fairlane any time soon?

robert campbell

Joe,
It is a friend of mines car. Currently diassembled for pianting, but back together. If we bolted a seat in it we could try it out. I will ask him "wat up dude" and see what he says.

Rob

davidathans

Joe, I did some research on this before i purchased the rack and pinion kit from Steeroids...i havent installed it yet, but i think its the best one. If you go to their website they actually show how their system compares to the other comparable kits

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

Joe, I did some research on this before i purchased the rack and pinion kit from Steeroids...i havent installed it yet, but i think its the best one. If you go to their website they actually show how their system compares to the other comparable kits

Thanks Dave. I couldn't find the comparison you spoke of. Do you know if the power assist can be adjusted or whether it affects the turning radius?

Oh, and how's your monster coming along?

rvrtrash

Joe,

Rob

I like the idea, but being a cheap SOB, I might do some measuring and see if I can find a factory unit that'll fit, or come close enough that a little modification will make it fit, in the '69 Fairlane.

Steve

davidathans

Thanks Dave. I couldn't find the comparison you spoke of. Do you know if the power assist can be adjusted or whether it affects the turning radius?

Oh, and how's your monster coming along?

it took me a while to find it, but here is the link to the comparison i was referring to:

http://speeddirect.com/index.aspx?nodeID=134

i ordered mine without power steering...do you really need it?

Brand F ....flaming river

Brand T....total control

The mustang is practically disassembled, roll cage is installed and i have racing seats and rack & pinon (not installed)....still saving up money for the motor....

as a side note, i bought a 1966 ford ranchero with a 289 and C4...it might have about 90RWHP lol