• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Top safety modifications for classic Mustangs?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
So what's everyone done for safety upgrades? Obviously most of these won't apply to you concours guys. Here's my partial list:

1. Headrests - I used the backs and headrests off a '69 seat when I recovered my stock '68 seats. You could also use OEM '68 headrests if you can find them.
  2. Retractable shoulder belts - I haven't done this yet, but plan to.
  3. Tank Armor or similar to separate the trunk (fuel tank) from the cockpit - I'm not convinced yet on this one. Seems like you're protecting against a pretty fluke accident, but I suppose that's what insurance always is.
So what's everyone else doing to feel a little better driving 40 yr old technology down the road?

Mosesatm

Jon,
How did you attach the headrest brackets on the '68 seats?

CougarCJ

Since this site is for 1968 Mustangs, I will limit my ideas to those that apply to 1968 Mustangs.

Front disc brakes - My Mustang was upgraded with factory 1970 disc brakes when I rebuilt the front suspension. During this rebuild, I installed a 31/32" front sway bar. Cheap and fairly easy to find 'used' at your local Pick-a-Part. Pretty common on Ford Granada's. Direct bolt in on a small block car.

Halogen sealed beam headlamps - To get the full benefit from these bulbs, a headlamp relay kit will need to be installed. This effectively gives a full 12v to those headlamps.

Passenger side door mirror - Hate driving a car missing that mirror.

Modern radial tires - Those vintage, skinny, bias ply, tires available from Coker and others are fine, but only for trailer queens.

In my humble opinion, tank armor is only partial protection. The areas above the wheel wells and the package tray lead directly to the passenger cabin too.

Someone sells a plate that goes directly on top of the fuel tank that looks more effective.

di81977

1 and 2 are good ones. Easy to get whiplash with out shoulder and head restaints if rear ended.

I have:

Replace wiring harnesses
Replaced brake light switch on the brake pedal mechanism (mine was glowing red it was so hot)

Other suggestion - fuses on the ammeter wiring

Also, I have seen discussions in other forums about tire age. Some people think it is a huge issue, others don't think there is any conclusive evidence that it is an issue. Either way, you should regularily inspect your tires for proper air pressure and wear/cracking.

whodat

1- New lenses and LED lights for the rear. I am confident people can see my lights now.
2- I am going to put a mirror on the passenger side after almost side swiping a car yesterday bringing the car back from the body shop.

p51

(1) Added front disc brakes. A huge improvement over drum brakes

(2) Added headrests. I put in some 1969 seat backs that had headrests. (The 1968 NOS headrests or aftermarket headrests are also an option).

(3) The car already had a shoulder belts so no upgrades there.

(4) Nice bright tail lights. LEDs as they add a more unique look - means more notice on the road and less chance of someone rear ending you.

Based on some of the discussion in other threads what I'm thinking about in addition is:

(5) Air horns. To scare the, ahh... poo out of someone that might veer into your lane.

(6) Fuel tank with a bladder.

BTW: Here's an earlier thread on same subject w/above comments plus some others...

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1979&highlight=variable+coil+springs

davidathans

Racing seats with 5 point harnesses, Roll Cage & sub frame connectors, Upgraded brakes all around, Helmet and fire suit. Transmission scatter shield, 360degree driveshaft safety loop, battery tie down, radiator overflow tank and external battery disconnect switch.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Jon,
How did you attach the headrest brackets on the '68 seats?
I used the entire seat back from a '69 that already had factory headrests. Then I just used my stock '68 seat bottom.

Mosesatm

I used the entire seat back from a '69 that already had factory headrests. Then I just used my stock '68 seat bottom.

Darn it, I hoped you had some secret way of attaching the bracket. I found out the hard way that the '68 and '69 seat backs are completely different and there is no easy way to attach a '69 headrest bracket onto a '68 seat.

I'm now doing the same thing you did.

nfrntau

Halogen headlights
Disk brakes
LED rear lights
3 point seatbelts
High back bucket seats (front and rear)
Passenger side mirror
Drive shaft loop
Front and Rear sway bar
Trunk sheild

And not listed above