• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hood Rust Removal?

cnassif

I'm certain some of you must have had this problem so I'm hoping you have some guidance for me. I am restoring a CS and have a question about hood rust.

My hood has rust in between the two pieces of metal in the channels (everywhere I cannot reach). I've air blown as much as I can out of it but would like to get some advice on how to treat the rust in there before stripping, sanding, priming and re-painting. Please advise!

franklinair

Buy a quart of Ospho (I think NAPA carries it). It is a mild acid. Remove the hood, lay it on the ground upside down. Pour about 1/2 of the Ospho into the hood thru one of the cutout holes, and 'roll' the hood around so that the Ospho gets into all the nooks & crannies inside the hood. Do this for about 10 minutes to assure the Ospho gets into all areas.
Then flush the entire hood with water to remove the Ospho. I then used a fan blowing on the underside of the hood to help dry it out. Now it's ready for stripping, etc. I would also coat the entire inside with POR-15, again 'rolling' the hood around so the paint flows into all concealed areas & seams. Don't worry about the color - you're going to repaint the hood anyway. Hope this helps.

Neil