• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Opinions needed: building my first set of tools for the garage

PB GT/CS

Tony, Paul, my kids and my brother in law have done over time, 6 cars. A 74 VW, 68 Firebirds 400 convert, Cobra Replica, 68 GT/CS, then another Cobra. Each time, we vote for "Best tool for the build". Here where I come down. This assumes that you have the needed wrenches and sockets, which include half inch sockets. Without air, we would have been lost!!! None of this would have happened. So, to me first is air. Then frankly, once you have air, you have a great choice on air tools. Take advantage of that. When I think about tools, I think about tow things. I have to get the job done, and what will save me money. For our GT/CS project, you can look at our pics (Paul and Brian Stevenson), we would have nominated our media blast booth as probably in the running. So many parts come off these older cars that need to be cleaned up. You might walk through our restoration pics and just has a look around. If you are doing a resto on an older car, you will need a way to clean it up. Good luck.

mmarsalone

I'm all Craftsman too. I have all of my original sets to almost all of the new, neat items that have come out the past few years. From the etched ratchets and sockets, to all of the ratcheting wrenches in regular, stubby, and the new cross force ratcheting ones too. I love walking the store from time to time looking at the end caps for all of the special purchases on the new items. Just watch items like torque wrenches and other items deemed automotive. Automotive items do not carry the lifetime warranty. I had to beg to get my torque wrench replaced a few years back. The only reason they did it was because it still looked brand new.

franklinair

Floor jack: stay away from the "bottle" jacks. They can be dangerous. A good floor jack (2 1/2 ton minimum, thats 5,000 lbs) with at least 18" lift heighth. 24" is even better if you're planning on doing bottom work. It can get cozy down there if the car is too low. To protect the frame from being marred by the stand, I just put a rag or towel folded thick between the stand & frame. I place the rear stands on the frame just forward of the rear springs forward attach point. The front stands can be placed under the frame at the forward end of the torque boxes. Be advised that this placement will allow the front suspension (lower control arms) to droop somewhat, but that's OK. For long term storage that takes the weight & load off the front suspension. You've gotten a LOT of good suggestions (parts washer, bead blaster, etc.) but let your budget be your guide. Most folks accumulate this stuff over many years, not overnight.
Fifteen years ago someone broke into my garage @ home and cleaned out 30 years of tools I had accumulated (tools, not equipment). I went to Sears tool dept, asked the salesman if they were on salary or commission. He said commission. I said today's your lucky day, grab a cart & follow me. MANY thousands of dollars later I went home, still not having replaced many special items I had made over the years. One last piece of advice that my dad gave me 50 years ago: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER sell your tools for any reason. (and be stingy about loaning them out!!) Good luck with your project, hope we can help.

Neil Hoppe

6t8-390gt

I am still on my 1st tool set. I started with a 3/8 socket set and some screw drivers about 25 years ago. I just replaced some of the screw drivers and the MAC man commented on how old they were. I am not a mechanic by trade, but I have learned that there is a difference in tools. Buy quality tools w/ lifetime warranty. I have an assortment Craftsman, Snap-On, Mac, Matco. If you need it once, chances are you will need it again! Don't think that you need to buy everything at once, but as you need something buy it.

My personal favorite hand tools now are the gear wrench reversable box wrenches. I use them more than sockets. Good Luck.

Mosesatm

You mean I get to make a list?!!!!!!!
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy:icon_ecst

Timing light
Gear puller (steering wheel, harmonic balancer, etc)
Soldering Gun
Voltage Meter or Light (you own a Mustang....you'll find out)
Assorted Electrical Connectors
Wire Stripper
Wire Ties
Heavy Duty Scissors
Plastic Case for Nuts & Bolts
Allen Wrenches
Distributor Wrench
Center Punch
GOOD Drill Bits
Rat Tail File
Small Openend Wrenches (Ignition Set?)
Line Wrenches - Don't use an open-end wrench on a fuel line or brake line:mad:
1 1/2" wide Putty Knife
If you get a compressor also pick up a small gravity-feed paint gun
Friend who has all the expensive stuff

Non-Tool Stuff
Weather Stripping Adhesive
Loc-Tight
Penetrating Oil
Paint Thinner
Wax & Grease Remover
Gasket Material
Assorted Sandpaper
Steel Wool

Diesel Donna

Dang it...you guys gave me the fever and I went to Sears today.
Arrrrrr Arrrrrrrr Arrrrrrrrrr!

robert campbell

I dont understand - there are frame rails, then torque box,and then the rails stop - right? Casey

Frame rails forward of the front tires. Torque boxes aft of the front tire as the frame disappears into the unibody.

Rob

nfrntau

I'm going to add my favorite tool to this list.
A small pair of locking position adjustable pliers. These are Knipex Cobra model 87 01 180. Once you have them, you can't live without them.
Heres a pair on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Knipex-87-01-180-SBA-7-COBRA-PLIERS_W0QQitemZ160145801183QQcmdZViewItem

Another thing to add to your list is a good drop light with electrical outlet plugs, very handy and make sure you put in a twirly type bulb like the one in the picture. I burnt myself and popped bulbs for years before I tried these new bulbs. They're brighter and they don't get hot. On for hours and you can still hold the bulb protector without burning yourself !! If you can spring for one that retracts into a holder it's pretty handy also.

Attachments

• DSCF4577.jpg
    DSCF4577.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

You mean I get to make a list?!!!!!!!
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy:icon_ecst

Timing light
Gear puller (steering wheel, harmonic balancer, etc)
Soldering Gun
Voltage Meter or Light (you own a Mustang....you'll find out)
Assorted Electrical Connectors
Wire Stripper
Wire Ties
Heavy Duty Scissors
Plastic Case for Nuts & Bolts
Allen Wrenches
Distributor Wrench
Center Punch
GOOD Drill Bits
Rat Tail File
Small Openend Wrenches (Ignition Set?)
Line Wrenches - Don't use an open-end wrench on a fuel line or brake line:mad:
1 1/2" wide Putty Knife
If you get a compressor also pick up a small gravity-feed paint gun
Friend who has all the expensive stuff

Non-Tool Stuff
Weather Stripping Adhesive
Loc-Tight
Penetrating Oil
Paint Thinner
Wax & Grease Remover
Gasket Material
Assorted Sandpaper
Steel Wool

Good stuff!!! Plenty of stuff for me to add to the wish list lol.
Dang it...you guys gave me the fever and I went to Sears today.
Arrrrrr Arrrrrrrr Arrrrrrrrrr!
I know, I almost dont wanna go back Wednesday to pick up my tool chest b/c I know I will leave spending even more money now that I have my list going.

And +1 on the light thing nfrntau