• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

I need your help; for my GT/CS Registry Book

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

If you had a 4-speed, you could still have a console--unless is was a custom drag shifter or something.

Some time ago, a friend if mine saw a 390 <?> GT/CS on EBAY that was in Wash. St., and was covered in surface rust underneath. It was a gonner... I think it had a drag-type "Mr. Gasket" shifter in it, too.

I don't know if it's the same car--but get a close look at whatever you see.

Thanks for passing on this info, and good luck!

Paul N.

Highlander

Paul; I've recently viewed the above mentioned car, and the amount of work to restore it would be quite overwhelming! I do believe that it is a real GT/CS, although it lacks complete originality. The data plate is still intact, and says it was a 289-4sp car. The rear fiberglass appeared to be original, as well as the bulb protectors, and rear light harness. One side scoop, could be a reman., and it has a '67 left front fender, with a standard '68 grille.The front end components are completely removed, as well as the engine, and transmission. It did have what appeared to be the original interior, which was the deluxe, but without a floor console? It did have the overhead, and an 8K tach, with a 120 Speedo. It is restorable, but would require everything. Whatever collision repair it had, was done prior to his ownership in '85. This was his first car, and this is why he has held onto it, with the hopes of restoring it. He claimed, he only drove it for a couple of years, and than began his process of tearing it apart. Like so many others, his dreams have changed. I have to leave town for business, and told him, I would be in contact with him upon my return. If I decide not to pursue this car, I will turn this opportunity over to your membership.

J.R.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hi J.R.,

if it's the same car I saw photos of (shown to me by "Something Special"), it's pretty rusty underneath. It reminded me of the look of overcooked lasagna, with bubbles of rust, and that awful orange-ey color.

It's a heroic deed to bring a GT/CS back--if you have the time, resources and $$ to do it. Overall, 4-speed cars are rare, and that Tach is neat, to have, too.

The best of luck to you. If you get it, we'll be glad to help you out.

Paul N.

PFSlim

Bring it back to life!!!!!

Paul

Attachments

• Stang2.JPG
    Stang2.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Stang5.JPG
    Stang5.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Stang12.JPG
    Stang12.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

All I can say is ohmygawd.

That's incredible.

I'll be sure to get back to you, to feature your CS in the restoration chapter in my book.

Just amazing work!

Paul N.

Diesel Donna

I'm still amazed at the car that Brian, Zach and Steve turned out from that heap. Wowee Zowee!

PFSlim

Many thanks. Keep in mind that we would not have done that much work if the car would not have been a Cal Spec. However, once we did, it was full speed ahead to put it back as original as we could.

Paul

Attachments

• MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Stang434.JPG
    Stang434.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 40