• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Overhead Console

tworings

Has anyone installed an overhead console? I don't even know if that option was available in 1968, but was told that the 1967 part would fit.
Thanks!

390cs68rcode

yes I have installed a overhead in a 68. the only difference in the 67 to 68 is in 67 it had the brushed aluminum center compared to the woodgrain center for a 68.

OP
OP
T

tworings

Thanks - any hints we should know? Does it bolt in or do you have to have brackets welded in? Will we need to remove headliner?

Mosesatm

Removing the headliner is not required but it makes the job a lot easier. The front bracket screws into 2 existing holes but the rear of the console requires 2 holes be drilled into the rear window frame.

The main trick is cutting the front of the headliner just enough to get the bracket in and screwing it into the holes. The console covers the cut in the headliner.

The other trick is getting power to the console. You can use the dome light power but to do so requires bypassing the door switch otherwise the lights won't work when the doors are closed.

OP
OP
T

tworings

Thanks for the info - I'm sure that will help. A little concerned about the power issue though! :smile:

Mosesatm

Mustanglvr said:
Arlie, was that a 67 upper console you sent me with the chrome?

Rhonda, it's my understanding that not all '68 consoles have the wood trim so for most overhead consoles there is no difference between a '67 and a '68. I think the wood grain was used with deluxe interior cars and the aluminum was used for all others.

I don't remember what year that console was from.

C160223

Arlie,
All 68's, had a woodgrain decal applied over the aluminum panel. The overhead console was only available with the "interior decor group" option for 67 & 68 and was never offered as a stand alone option.

PFSlim

John P.

I have an Acapulco blue exterior with light blue/dark blue interior. Have you posted your pictures on the site? Would love to see that color combo.

Paul

BroadwayBlue

PFSlim said:
John P.

I have an Acapulco blue exterior with light blue/dark blue interior. Have you posted your pictures on the site? Would love to see that color combo.

Paul

Paul,

Check out the website in his signature http://www.pezzolesi.com/
There are pics but the car is Charcoal Grey now.

His VIN is 23 after mine.
Scheduled for Build and Actually Built on the same days.

R