• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 After Market Steering Wheel Thoughts

BroadwayBlue

I'm kicking around the idea of swapping out my original wheel with an aftermarket wheel.

Really like the LeCarra wood style, Shelby Style, etc.

If I'm going to swap it out though I think I would go with a smaller diameter wheel, probably 13" or 14".

I thought about the Grant wood wheel but to me it looks a lot like the early generation style and want something different, like the Shelby style
like the Lecarra and Moto-Lita

I haven't seen this style in a 13" wheel yet.

Just curious to know experiences people may have had with different styles, brands, etc and to get thoughts.

Please post pics if you have any. Thanks!!

Also, I have a Flaming River Tilt Column. I mention this as the Branda site notes that their Cobra wheels won't fit these

http://www.cobranda.com/shmucogewos...pingfeeds&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=BROI
Note 2: This does not fit cars with Flaming River brand steering columns EXCEPT for the "Heritage Style Column

Attached is the style I'm referring to.

Attachments

• WT_Mrk3sup.jpg
    WT_Mrk3sup.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

carezcs

Rich, don't know if you're running a Flaming River rack and pinion box also but I've found the smaller diameter wheels tend to take a little more muscle than stock diameter wheels. Just my 2 cents worth.
Bruce

CougarCJ

I believe the Flaming River tilt column uses a General Motors spline for the steering wheel.

nfrntau

Rich,
I have an Ididit column which I believe is very similar to the Flaming River. The Ididit uses the GM spline. My wheel is 13.5" outside diameter and very comfortable. Without power steering it would be a nightmare to park the car.
This wheel is made by Tenzo and the model is turismo.
I had to purchase an adapter from Ididit for this wheel. I called them with the measurements and they set me up with the correct adapter. There are several different bolt patterns, and the adapter moved the wheel far enough out there are no interference issues between turn signal, hazard, etc.

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 40

sam

Cobra steering wheel you are considering................awesome!
Sam

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I believe the Flaming River tilt column uses a General Motors spline for the steering wheel.

I don't have the Flaming River Rack and Pinion just their tilt wheel.

It's the one with the Ford spline not the GM spline, they have both I think but I have the Ford one.

I agree a smaller wheel would be tough with manual steering but I have power in this car so I don't know that it would be too much of a problem going smaller.

Like the look of the "cobra" style wheel or similar. I don't think I'm going to do something immediately but going to keep my eye out at Carlisle and online for good prices.

Like to be prepared and know what I need/want if that good price comes along.
Thanks!

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Rich,
I have an Ididit column which I believe is very similar to the Flaming River. The Ididit uses the GM spline. My wheel is 13.5" outside diameter and very comfortable. Without power steering it would be a nightmare to park the car.
This wheel is made by Tenzo and the model is turismo.
I had to purchase an adapter from Ididit for this wheel. I called them with the measurements and they set me up with the correct adapter. There are several different bolt patterns, and the adapter moved the wheel far enough out there are no interference issues between turn signal, hazard, etc.

I haven't seen that style in a 68 - looks nice with the Mustang center and all!

Do you have cruise too?

Perkchiro

I have the Grant wheel myself. I like the smaller diameter because of the better clearance between the wheel and my thighs. Still have the ceiling height issue at 6'5".

GT/CS S Code

Cobra style steering wheel ...

We installed the Cobra style wheel in our car just because I prefer the look of it. Always did like the early Cobra roadster cockpits and the interior treatment of the first year (65) GT350 Mustang too. I've always been a bit "short for my weight" and I have to admit that the new wheel is a bit of a tight fit in my lap, especially since we also recovered our front seats and replaced the old foam cushions. Things are a bit "snug" now as the new foams still haven't settled down yet and most of the time my "noggin" is brushing the headliner! (Well, I am 6 foot tall after all ...). Anyway ... I really like the looks of the Cobra steering wheel and we've had nothing but great compliments about the way the interior of the car looks these days.

Attachments

• In the driveway October 2009 008 (Small).jpg
    In the driveway October 2009 008 (Small).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 35
  • Mustang reference photos 019.jpg
    Mustang reference photos 019.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 33
  • New horn button with Cobra logo 001 resized.jpg
    New horn button with Cobra logo 001 resized.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 30

GT/CS S Code

Ps ...

PS: ... as you can see from the first two photos we also finally installed the rebuilt clock in the dash as well. Now I know just how late I am ...
:grin:

nfrntau

Do you have cruise too?

I do, The cruise control hooks right up to the blinker switch and the module is located in the engine compartment. It was an easy install with the new column.
The column also has tilt which is a nice feature to put the steering wheel where it is comfortable.
I would guess the steering column swap could be done without pulling your engine but it would be impossible to do it without many explitives if you get my drift. I did mine when the engine was out. And it was very straightforward. The hard part with the engine in might be getting the firewall cover and u-joints adjusted correctly. I would check for engine compartment clearance if you thought about going this route.
Cheers
Bill