• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

tail light lenses repro or nos????

J.Bart

I NEED SOME HELP GUYS,
I BOUGHT SOME TAILIGHT LENSES LISTED AS NOS, OF WHICH I PROBABLY PAID TO MUCH FOR, BUT I CAN'T FIND THE 65 T BIRD NUMBERS ON THEM
QUESTION: HOW DO YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NOS AND REPRODUCTIONS
THE PICTURE LOOKED LIKE THE LENSES WERE DARK RED LIKE THE ONES ON MY GT/CS BUT THE ONES IN MY HAND, WELL, I'M NOT SURE
AND IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YEARS ON THE SHELBY LENSES , 69, 70 VERSUS THE 68

Russ

I purchased NOS lenses and bezals in the Ford boxes over five years ago and these lenses are dark red. They have "SAE-TSDB 64 TDA Fomoco" on the top of the lense. Hope this helps, Russ

Kurt

Used original lenses darken with age. New NOS lenses will be lighter. I will check for numbers on an NOS set I have & post them.

Kurt

OP
OP
J

J.Bart

WELL THEY HAVE THE SAE-TSDB 64TDA FOMOCO ON THEM
ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE FORD PART NUMBER ON THEM?

68sunlitgold

JBart,
I don't have my lenses with me, but if I remeber right neither my original or my replacements had the Ford number on them. I purchased the repro, they look just like the originals down to the numbers, and I have the same numbers that Russ posted.
Doug

x-codegtcs

The "repros" as they are called are made from the original tooling - so my guess is that other than some slight differences in the plastic molecular structure (since it is no longer 1968) that the molding should be exact without any way to tell the difference. The parts do not have a date wheel so it is impossible to know the difference.

My two bits.

OP
OP
J

J.Bart

SO IN OTHER WORDS THERE IS NO WAY TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE?

x-codegtcs

Perhaps condition only - I bought some NOS that I wish I hadn't bought because the lenses were all scuffed from shifting in the box for years. It took hours to buff them out.