• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

car transport companies

calspecialchic

Hi,
I am shipping my car and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a good transport company. Thanks.

Redwingrobb

I've used Dependable Auto Shippers before. Had no problems. 1-800-826-1083. Robb

BroadwayBlue

I don't have a lot of experience in this area but for what it worth here is some info.

I've never used Dependable (DAS) so can't comment on their service but can tell you a little about their prices. I got quotes from them that were way above any other company. Even with a $50 ebay discount. (not much of a discount on a $1600+ quote. I've received the same feedback about the pricing from other people that got quotes from them as well.

I got a quote from Passport (FedEx) that was almost $400 less for door-to-door enclosed transport for what DAS wanted for Open trailer top load. The closed transport different was over $600. DAS couldn't ship for over 1 month, FedEx within 1 week.

Not exact prices but it went something like this.
DAS - open trailer top of the trailer was $1400
DAS - enclosed trailer door to door $1600+
Passport/FedEx - enclosed trailer door-to-door $1000

Top of the trailer on an open truck is a plus to avoid a lot of debris kicking up on the car and if the car above you has a leak it has nowhere to go but on your car on the bottom.

FedEx came recommended from people that have used them in the past and had good experiences.

FedEx: http://passport.fedex.com/
DAS: http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

You might want to try this site too to get some prices
They will send you a bunch of emails with quotes for reference. Most initial quotes are basic open trailer prices.
http://www.moveavehicle.com/

Keep in mind most companies are charging a fuel surcharge right now which ranges from $100-300.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Midnight Special

...I was very happy with Intercity Lines Inc. Fully enclosed, very reasonable price. They can be reached at (800) 221-3936

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 28

Midnight Special

I had checked into Intercity as well - there price was comparable with FedEx/Passport but couldn't deliver a car for 5 weeks.

I've heard they're good as well.

Indeed, you want to get on their schedule ASAP. I waited almost two weeks w/ Intercity. Another transport Co. (can't remember name) took about six weeks from Colorado. They regularly circle the nation hauling e-bay cars et-al... It all depends on where they are when you contact them.

BroadwayBlue

That's for sure - it has a lot to do with timing.

Intercity was one of the few companies that gave me a date in the original emailed quote they sent me.

For FedEX, you can go to their site and get a quote even without giving your email address and the site will let you know right there the price and estimated pickup and delivery dates. I also liked that they breakdown the costs for you so you know exactly what they are charging you for. Whether or not you agree with it is another story but at least they tell you :grin:

classicsguy

I have had very good experience with Able auto transport. They have great rates and most important your car is in only one truck until its final destination. No changing of trucks at any point. Website is; www.ableautotransport.com. You can get an instant quote. Hope it helps

case12

I had a bad experience with DAS shipping my CS. They held it for two weeks on one of their LA lots (waiting for a truck to fill up for the ride to IL). Someone shattered the vent window to break into it in LA. Fortunately it has a Viper alarm which scared the theives off. But when I got it glass was everywhere on the inside (still slivers found today), and I had to clean it out. With the deductable I got $35 to replace the vent window. Was happy to get the CS, happy nothing more was damaged - but not too happy with how they took care of it. My experience....Casey

limp1969

i just had a car shipped from GA to san diego,CA
If the car is in good shape Do not use the cheap $700-$850 shippers ask about enclosed. 2 reasons it is enclosed, and they also use a sheet of plastic to stop oil leaks,fluilds from leaking on your car if it is loaded on the bottom.

The drivers also use more care in driving on and off the trailer. Make sure it gets picked up with the truck it stays on the whole trip. I think mine was around $1100. worth the extra $$$ unless the car is a peice of crap then the cheapest will do

OP
OP
C

calspecialchic

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I shopped around all that were mentioned as well as the generic one that gave me 5 or 6 quotes. I chose to go with Fed Ex. They were 1080 for an enclosed trailer from VA to WI.
They can pick up within a week and are delivered straight to my door and on the same truck. DAS did not deliver door to door and their delivery and pick up points were no where near convenient.
My only other experience was with AAAutomotive and I chose an open truck. My car got to me with lots of new scratches but the way they cover themselves on the drawing did not give me a chance of claiming any of it. I would not ship with them again for anything.
I will let you know how this goes. Thanks again!
-Brenda

BroadwayBlue

Brenda,

I got my new CS delivered today by FedEx/Passport. The guy opened up the truck and guess what was parked in front of mine?

A black CS heading from VA to WI - I assuming it has to be yours!!! I got pictures!!

What are the chances of that? Our cars were trailer buddies :grin:

I'll post more pics later but check it out in the attached!!

Attachments

• DSC00142 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00142 - Copy.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00145 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00145 - Copy.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC00161 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00161 - Copy.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC00164 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00164 - Copy.JPG