• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Front Fenders

robert campbell

All,
Not sure if this has been discussed in detail before. My current stock 68 Mustang project has a 67 fender on it and I need to convert it to a 68. It is known that the running horse emblem was not part of the GT/CS or HCS package. In order to have the emblem the front fender was “punched “ in the mold to accommodate the running horse emblem. This is unlike the rear quarter panel for the GT/CS only that IMO was drilled after the car was painted. I have a background in sheetmetal forming as a sheetmetal mechanic at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. It would be easy for the Ford Factory to remove the four punches in the draw form that produced the front fender. Based on that Ford must have produced a “run” of front fenders (5,000 or so?) without the 4 holes for the running horse. The GNS that I owned did not have the holes for the running horse emblem, and they were not welded up and sanded as it is easy to see that from the back side if you know what to look for.

Based on that, I know Neil has a GT/CS in the paint booth and wonder if anyone else has a fender off? As we know there are several subtle differences in how these cars became a GT/CS or HCS. Keeping in mind that many cars were in accidents and the fender may have been lost. Dan’s GT/CS had very visible date codes that matched his build date closely. Someday his car would be a great example to examine the fenders.

We know that the cars were pulled from the line after they were painted and other assembly was complete and then got the hood locks, trunk lid and end caps and side scoops, script, and grill and fog lights more than likely in a specialized area. My guess is it was before the cars even had the fenders on. The early cars that were pulled and staged would have had the fenders and grill removed as they were already complete and matching painted fender would be installed.

This also means that early on there may have been a service replacement for a GT/CS and HCS front fenders. My guess is they would have run out fairly fast. I think the front fender is a very definitive part of the car.

Thoughts?

Rob

franklinair

Also '67 front fenders do not have the Running Light cutouts as the '68 fenders do.

Neil

Ruppstang

I think service replacement had no emblem holes as Ford did not know is it would be used for a standard Mustang, GT Mustang, HCS, GT/CS or a Shelby. All of which used the same fender with different holes.

I'll check our 52K mile unrestored HCS fender some time.
Marty

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

I think service replacement had no emblem holes as Ford did not know is it would be used for a standard Mustang, GT Mustang, HCS, GT/CS or a Shelby. All of which used the same fender with different holes.

I'll check our 52K mile unrestored HCS fender some time.
Marty

Marty,
Great point! Makes a case as to whether they had any script holes either as they would not be needed.

Interesting as the GT had no Mustang script. So the GT/CS and HCS fender would not have the running horse, but would have the script. The GT would not have either, but holes for the GT badge.

So heck, the service replacement may not have had any holes what so ever!

Rob