• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Long time viewer, short time member. Howdie!

CougarCJ

Had a couple of Mustangs years ago, but lusted after a 428CJ.

Had to settle for an R code Cougar. Lucked into a 1969 XR7 R code, 4 speed, drag pack project in 1994. Several other Cougars over the years too. Like my Cougars, but planning on finding a CA Special. My 1968 XR7-G was made on the A. O. Smith assembly line along with the Shelby Mustangs. My G car is a major project though and I think I am going to opt out of it.

I have found what I think is probably a CA Special at a paint shop in Pomona. The shop guys say that it is owned by the landlord of the property and "not for sale".

Just wanting to step up to the micro phone and introduce myself.
Please don't judge me for being Mustang challenged at the moment.:icon_no:

P

PNewitt

Cougars and our cars share the same rear quarter reflectors....although it's a Montego part #..(pssst...if I could only get more Mustangers to know just how much is shared with the Cougar)

Hmmmm....I heard of the '69 428CJ Cougar used in HMSS (007 Bond film) was "found" in Europe. We found that while researching my friend's 007 1971 429CJ Mach 1.

Welcome!

Paul.

...good luck getting that Pomona CS!

Mustanglvr

Welcome to the site CougarCJ! Cougars are great, if I did`nt have a Mustang, I`d definitely have a Cougar.

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

PNewitt said:
Cougars and our cars share the same rear quarter reflectors....although it's a Montego part #..(pssst...if I could only get more Mustangers to know just how much is shared with the Cougar)

Hmmmm....I heard of the '69 428CJ Cougar used in HMSS (007 Bond film) was "found" in Europe. We found that while researching my friend's 007 1971 429CJ Mach 1.

Welcome!

Paul.

...good luck getting that Pomona CS!
One of the movie cars is in Sweden, there were several of them used during the filming. On my other Cougar forum, the owner of the Dusk 'til Dawn Cougar is a member.

John McGilvary

Welcome, I own a CS/CJ and I like Cougars as much as I do Mustangs. The people on this site are the best. John

Mustanger

Hey CougarCJ,

It's nice to see another new face in this forum ... seems like you have some cool cars, plus I like Calvin & Hobbes too ... welcome aboard ...

Attachments

• CalvinHobbesWagonColorAvatar.bmp
    15.7 KB · Views: 19
  • CalvinHobbesWagonComic_Fate.jpg
    CalvinHobbesWagonComic_Fate.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

still looking for one

As a former '67 Cougar owner, let me put in my .02 and welcome you two!

I miss my old Cougar, it was the easiest one I ever owned to take care of, and WOW, it drew the looks- and that was back when they were thick on the ground (known as Falcon-Thunderbirds)

They are cut from the same cloth as the Mustang, at least the early ones.
By 1975 they were station wagons, leaving their fans scratching their heads in confusion...

A GT/GS or HCS is a worthy goal, though.

The Dawn to Dusk Cougar (George Clooney's) was a 1970, I think, what a HORRIBLE movie but a great car!! Interesting about the James Bond convertible, too. Many '67s and '68's were to be seen on the old CHIPS TV shows, and worse, several were deliberately wrecked on that show-they were nothing special then.

What websites are there for the old ones? You have found "THE" place for the GT/CS, the members here are like a family and they KNOW these models down to the nuts and bolts and keep a 24/7 ebay watch out for them.

A 1/18" model of the GT/CS is about to come out!

The Mustang is the ORIGINAL, the first pony car, and even the real ones seem to have the DNA and excitement the first ones had.

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

This is my CJ next to a Replica Ford Tri-Motor airplane.

My resto mod Cougar I can't find the pictures right now.

It is a 1968 XR7 J-code 3 speed stick, no option coupe. 65,000 original miles last registered 1974, California black plates.

Plans are T-5 transmission with cable clutch. Already installed 1970 disc brakes, rebuilt front suspension, 9 inch rear end with 3.50 posi. Going to run an Autolite 4100 carburetor with the spreadbore kit from Pony Carburetors.
Adding a 24" 3 core radiator and eventually an Edelbrock F4B manifold.

Attachments

• trimotor plane.JPG
    trimotor plane.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 22
  • licenseplate.jpg
    licenseplate.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 44