• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Should all 1968 California Specials been true GT's?

classicsguy

Given the fact that there were only 4118 made, Do you think that Ford should have made all California Specials with V-8 engines and with the GT Equipment package?
Since the car already has the "GT" in the name that feature will definetly make the 1968 GT/CS truly more SPECIAL and more collectible!!
What are your thoughts?

1fb1gtcs

I think it would have been nice if they were all gt cars, but I guess at the time it was just an appearance option. What I wonder about is why does it have the gt script on the car in the first place? When I first got my gt/cs my dad was sure it was a gt because it said so right on the scoop! It took a few books to convince him but when he finally saw there were six cylinder examples he lost hope! :(

Mustanglvr

I read somewhere that the GT in the GT/CS means Gran Turismo. The GT you`re talking about was an option or a kit you could add later. Mustanglvr

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

I believe that Gran Turismo stands for all cars that have GT on them, it does not matter if its Ford or any other automaker. The package you are refering is also called GT equipment group and if a car is truly a GT and has a body buck tag it should read PIO which stands for Performance Image Option or in other words GT. Hope this helps!

hookedtrout

I believe the reason they created the California Special was to encourage sales as they were starting to decline so I would guess they wanted to make the car in a variety of options so as not to turn off any buyers. By offering the Special in a variety it covered a larger consumer market. If they were all made with the GT option and V8's the cost would have been a little higher and those prefering a smaller engine knocking out some buyers.

Like everyone else I wish they were all GT optioned now that I have one.

Hook

68sunlitgold

As stated, this was an appearance option. It was suppose to be a "secret" what you had under the hood, that is why there is no engine size emblem on the side. By calling them all "GT/CS" it was hard to tell (from the outside without) what you had. Now that being stated, I know most of us here can tell what they are by certain add or lack of "GT" additions. But the common person could tell the difference between a I-6 or V-8 from the outside.

Doug

P

PNewitt

The GT/CS (and '68 HCS) was a marketing plan for the sluggish sales in Calif., due to more pony cars out by then, and the strike in late '67.

"GT" was a commonly used term. In '65, Ford almost used GTO. It's a carryover from the racing "GT" cars, mostly Ferraris. Iaccoca wanted the mouth to look like a Maserati, and the GT name stuck as well.

The GT name was used on the Shelby (GT-350, GT-500, etc.), and it was what it was--not with a specific GT package...(even though it was beefed up from stock).

It's just in a name. It's just marketing, which drives 90% of what you see on the road. As long as they sold cars, they weren't too concerned in what seemed "logical". it would have been neat if they ALL were GTs.

Paul N.