• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Heavy Duty Suspension V. GT package

somethingspecial

I have had lots of inquiries lately concerning Heavy Duty Suspension V. GT Equipment Group. If you have a 2011 GT/CS Recognition Guide and Owners Manual, they are listed on pages 120-121. If not, they are as follows:

Heavy Duty Suspension:
Higher Rate front and rear springs
7/8" or 15/16" front Stabilizer bar (sway bar)
Larger higher rate shock absorbers.
Cost: $30.64

GT Equipment Group:
Fog lights (included in the GT/CS Package)
Dual Exhaust System of a special low-restriction type, including Chrome Quad Tips.
GT Stripe. (deleted and replaced with the GT/CS stripe with GT/CS Package)
Heavy Duty Suspension
Wide-Oval tires and 6-inch rims
GT styled steel wheels
GT flip open quick-action gas cap (with running horse emblem on GT/CS)
Power front disc brakes, required at extra cost, with 390GT or 428CJ engines.
Cost: $146.71

T code (six cylinder) and C code 289 engines did not qualify for the GT Package.

I could not find any reference to the 9" differential as being part of the GT Package.

Last edited:

Tim_morrison82

Thanks Mike.

i have HD suspension on my car, a J code, non GT, non CS car and have always wanted to know a bit more about it when replacing stuff for concours.

was there 2 size options for the HD sway bar??

seems a little ambiguous showing 2... was it plant specific?

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Don't know how accurate this info is, but I found this:

.698" (approx. 11/16") 302-4V; Standard
.728" (approx. 3/4") 302-4V/390 GT; GT option; Paint daub, 1 yellow, 1 blue
.858" (approx. 7/8") 302-4V/390 GT; improved handling; Paint Daub, Green

.958" (approx. 15/16") 390 GT/ GT 350/ GT 500; Maximum Handling Package.; No Paint color given.

CougarCJ

Heavy duty suspension is a separate component of the GT Equipment Group.

HD Suspension, could have been ordered as a stand alone option.

Wouldn't there also be the "GT" chrome badging included with the GT equipment group on a non-GT/CS?

teamlo

I could not find any reference to the 9" differential as being part of the GT Package.

I too have never seen the 9" differential referenced specifically as being part of the GT package. Every 1968 GT car that I have observed over the years (J-code, S-code, X-code, R-code) has been equipped with a 9" axle.

Terry

dalorzo_f

Would think the 9" was related to engine, not the GT group. I'd hazard a guess that every non GT J, S, X and R also had a 9"... I know my non GT X and S do... but not the C code...

So, by default, would think as a GT had to have the bigger V8's a 9" was already optioned to that engine... and would be on a GT as well, but not specifically as part of the package, just by default. Kinda an option (9") defined by the option (engine) required to get the GT option... :wink:

???

CougarCJ

Would think the 9" was related to engine, not the GT group. I'd hazard a guess that every non GT J, S, X and R also had a 9"... I know my non GT X and S do... but not the C code...

So, by default, would think as a GT had to have the bigger V8's a 9" was already optioned to that engine... and would be on a GT as well, but not specifically as part of the package, just by default. Kinda an option (9") defined by the option (engine) required to get the GT option... :wink:

???

9 inch rear ends were standard with the FE engines: S - 390-4V, X - 390-2V, R - 428CJ (9 inch nodular with 31 splined axles).

In the Ford MPC, (for the small block V-8) the listing for the driveshaft calls out a difference in driveshafts between GT 50-7/32" long, and non-GT 50-31/32" long. The only error they show is that the GT package could be ordered with the 289-2V.

My non-GT J code 302-4V, has a 8 inch rear end.

Last edited:

Tim_morrison82

My J code is non 9" and i have seen a lengthy thread on VMF (i think) that confirmed beyond reasonable doubt that only GT J codes had the 9".

to add to that, my non J code which had heavy duty suspension, doesn't even have a dual exhaust... so they were pretty much just a warm version of a stock standard car.