• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Flashing Headlights

GT_CS

Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted on here, however here goes.....

My GT/CS headlights started to flash on and off when driving in the dark, what can be the cause of this?

Additionally my rear lights have developed a problem whereby they do not blink properly when turn signal and brake are activated and also when the sidelights are on and i apply the brake the lights go dimmer. I did remove the tailight lens and noticed a problem with the seal which as a result contained water within the buckets. Could the brake switch be faulty too as at times the brake lights do not work until I fiddle with brake switch.

any suggestions

Regards
Fasar

franklinair

You've described several different maladies, with several different probabilities.

Headlights flashing on & off: Most probable cause=Dimmer Switch on the floor and/or corroded connections at that switch.

Tail lights/Brake lights: Check all 6 light sockets for corrosion, proper ground of the socket shells (should be 0 ohms to Ground).
I would also check the Side Marker lights and the front Parking/Turn Signal light assemblies in the same manner. Clean, non corroded sockets are essential, making sure the socket shells are properly Grounded in all 10 of the aforementioned light sockets.
While you have the rear lights opened, it would be a good time to freshen the reflective surfaces of these 'buckets'. Clean, paint, new gaskets. (Some people prefer White paint, some prefer silver paint. I believe a bright Silver/Chrome is best.)
After you have done these steps, see how everything works.
Possible component faults: Dimmer Switch, Turn Signal Switch, Brake Light Switch (although I consider that unlikely- they rarely fail).
Hope this helps.

Neil

rvrtrash

Personally, I'd look at the head light switch as well for the blinking problem. There is a circuit breaker in the switch and if you have resistance in the circuit, or halogen bulbs, or just a weak switch, it will cycle on and off. Everything else, I agree with Neil.

Steve

somethingspecial

My CS did the same thing with the headlights flashing. One guy in front of me once stopped and yelled at me "WHAT"?, thinking I was trying to signal him by flashing my headlights. I replaced the headlight switch and cured the problem.

OP
OP
G

GT_CS

Thank you guys for the suggestions will take it apart soon and report back any findings.

Neill, sorry if this sounds daft as I am not too technical with cars; how can I check for the ground of the sockets?