• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Neil's Highland Green CS

franklinair

When I removed the tail lights, this is what I found:eek:
The PR (Previous Restorer) had glued tinfoil into the recesses for reflectors.Needless to say, I'll be sanitizing the light units!

Neil

Attachments

• Email photo.JPG
    Email photo.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 114

Ruppstang

There is a good thread on concoursmustang.com that details the restoration of the Shelby and GT-CS tail light panels. Marty

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Couple of things I'm looking for:
1.) Pop open gas cap emblem (The PO had a Shelby emblem on it) NPD lists it, but will only sell WITH a new gas cap ($150) :-(
2.) AM/FM radio ('68 would be nice, but I think '67 thru '73 will work)

Neil

Ruppstang

I used a NOS one on the HCS still have the orignal and have a latter AM-FM that works well. PM me if you are interested. Marty

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

The rear fiberglass panel is in the paint shop to be painted body color. What's the correct type screws to secure the panel? (I'm inclined to use SS screws, as they look crisp and don't rust.)
The tail light units are done & functional. Got the new 24" HD radiator & fan shroud today, plus the bracketry for mounting.
New Nugget Gold upholstery & headliner will be ordered tomorrow.
Time flies when you're having a good time.:grin:

Neil

classicsguy

Seems you are enjoying improving your new purchase Neil !! Keep us posted on progress

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Anyone got a drawing or photo of the heater hose routing for a 302, Factory A/C, with the correct water/vacuum control valve? The PO had the hoses hooked up direct to the heater core. I installed the correct control vale, but my shop manual doesn't show the routing/hookup for the heater hoses.:undecided

Neil

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Progress: Replaced the hood turn signal harness (butchered), replaced the engine harness (butchered), installed Pertronix III ignition & coil, installed correct 24" radiator w/shroud, installed fan clutch & 17" fan (as described in MM article). Removed seats for re-upholstery back to original Nugget Gold. Rear tail light panel should be ready @ paint shop (repainted back to Highland Green body color). Installed correct heater control vacuum valve (PO had heater hoses connected direct to heater core).
I'm contemplating switching the A/C compressor to the new rotary type and R-134 freon. (More efficient & R-12 is too $$$ & hard to get) Ordered new leaf springs today, to restore rear ride heighth and eliminate air shocks. While I'm doing that I'll drop the rear end, clean & detail it.
I'm having lots of fun-fun-fun.:grin:

Neil

Ruppstang

Anyone got a drawing or photo of the heater hose routing for a 302, Factory A/C, with the correct water/vacuum control valve? The PO had the hoses hooked up direct to the heater core. I installed the correct control vale, but my shop manual doesn't show the routing/hookup for the heater hoses.:undecided

Neil

Neil,
Is this what you were looking for? Did my package get there?

Attachments

• Heater hose with AC 001.jpg
    Heater hose with AC 001.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 65
  • heater hose with AC and trunk mat stiching 001.JPG
    heater hose with AC and trunk mat stiching 001.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Thanks Marty. Got the heater hoses & vacuum valve all installed. Your package arrived today- again, Many Thanks. The pop-open gas cap & AM/FM radio will work fine.

Neil

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Adding pic for Neil.

Attachments

• Green CS 019.jpg
    Green CS 019.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 71

calspcl

I am jumping in on Neils thread, do non AC cars also have a vauum valve the heater hoses connect to prior to routing to the heater core?

Dan

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Photos experiment:
With some inputs from Jon & my local computer guru, I think I've found a method to upload photos.
These two show the rear panel removed for painting (back to body color), and then all re-assembled. The color looks different in the 2 photos- different lighting/time of day.
I have to do some floorpan replacement, but thankfully the torque boxes look passable.
Thanks to Marty for the correct fuel cap.

Neil

Attachments

• Green GTCS 003.jpg
    Green GTCS 003.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Green GTCS 011.jpg
    Green GTCS 011.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Floorboard repairs to be made. Amazingly, the torque boxes don't look too bad. Cowl vents don't leak- I poured a gallon of water into the cowl, and it all exited as designed through the drain path.
What DOES bug me, the PR (previous restorer- and I use the term loosely) just laid metal plates over the rusted areas- secured by masking tape. Nice.:mad:

Neil

Attachments

• Green GTCS 0081.JPG
    Green GTCS 0081.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 67
  • Green GTCS 0091.JPG
    Green GTCS 0091.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Green GTCS 0061.JPG
    Green GTCS 0061.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

classicsguy

Nice findings Neil!!! But look at it this way; If car was perfect;you would not be having any fun!!!

ari guy

Neil, Steel plates laid over the rust and held in place with duct tape??????? That has to be the "original patch panel"!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!! Thanks for making my day, Doc

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Got the new rear leaf springs, shackles, brake lines installed. Cleaned all the crud & corruption and painted the rear housing & driveshaft. Had to use a saws-all to cut the leaf spring forward bolts. Not fun. :-(

Neil

Attachments

• Green GTCS 009EM.JPG
    Green GTCS 009EM.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Green GTCS 010EM.JPG
    Green GTCS 010EM.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 55