• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Smashed Special

Scott

Couple of weeks ago I spun my GT/CS into a concrete wall on the Captain Cook Bridge just south of Sydney, Australia. Light rain, greasy road and an expansion joint conspired against my lack of skill and the fact that I have been driving a 240Z Datsun resulted in massive wheelspin and damage to all four corners!

Now that the restoration has started I'm slowly able to talk about it more and am trying for as much NOS as possible. Just bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290305793600&viewitem=
and wondered if you could tell me if they're the exact right ones. Only difference I can see is a grey rubber cone out the base of the light as opposed to a black grommet type on my originals.

Still struggling to look at the photos of the smash but might put up the restoration pics in the coming weeks as it gets further along. Currently it is gutted and half way to bare metal.

Thanks,
Scott

aemoo28

Oh gosh it hurts. The pain never goes away... I can only imagine...

One more important reason for me to NOT drive while leaking p/s fluid.

Mosesatm

Couple of weeks ago I spun my GT/CS into a concrete wall on the Captain Cook Bridge just south of Sydney, Australia. Light rain, greasy road and an expansion joint conspired against my lack of skill and the fact that I have been driving a 240Z Datsun resulted in massive wheelspin and damage to all four corners!

Now that the restoration has started I'm slowly able to talk about it more and am trying for as much NOS as possible. Just bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290305793600&viewitem=
and wondered if you could tell me if they're the exact right ones. Only difference I can see is a grey rubber cone out the base of the light as opposed to a black grommet type on my originals.

Still struggling to look at the photos of the smash but might put up the restoration pics in the coming weeks as it gets further along. Currently it is gutted and half way to bare metal.

Thanks,
Scott

Judging from the black dome mounting bracket I think those are black-backed lights. If the backs are black plastic instead of chrome they are not the correct lights.

franklinair

Sooo sorry for your mishap. I'm sure support (moral & technical) will come forth from this site.

Neil

tomcwarren

I have a couple of housings (chrome) I can send you. Bought 'em just for the front trim ring (one of mine had a broken ear where the screw goes in), so I have 2 shells (no lenses), one ring/bezel, no wires or mounts. Not concourse, but a little polish and they're good-to-go. You could swap 'em out for the plastic backs (if that's what you have) on your NOS lights. They're stamped 'England' and 'LR8' on the bottom, BTW.

Yours gratis - I have no need for 'em. Just pay shipping from 'Zona to Oz.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll attach pics.

Tom

HappyHour

Sorry to hear Scott...the forum always appreciates pics to celebrate the highs and also to provide sympathy and healing for those mishaps. Im hoping noone was injured!!

Anycase I can dig up some lenses and\or housings your way if needed. They may be rough will take a look but lets just say I went on a little Lucas buying spree to corner the market. :cheesy:

Just have a Coopers waiting for me when I swing through...or couple of Lions Red would suffice.

RobKat

OP
OP
S

Scott

Thanks so much for your kind words! Not many people understand how gutting it is.

Huge thanks to Tom and Robert for the offers of parts. You are too kind. I've asked the seller to clarify if they are the correct lights or not.

On another point, my friendly panel & paint guy Brian is a rather talented chap and likes to do things to the highest possible standards (story goes one 65 convertible owner had to take the spray gun off him to get the runs the factory would've left under his car that was aiming for a concourse job) and he is wanting to "fix" the fit and finish of my special since I've chosen to go the extra mile to a bare metal repaint. Just wondering what your opinion is of this. As an example, he's rather disgusted by the finish on the surface of the fibreglass parts and also the gaps around the back of the car after seeing another special that is still intact.

Thanks again, Scott

PS - living in Sydney it best to order a hahn (especially in Coogee as he's a local), james squire or anything from tooheys as we aussies tend to be a bit territorial about beers - Coopers are from south australia (although tolerated) and lions are New Zealand which means you cannot even buy it and could get dangerous if they've just beaten us at any code of rugby or cricket!

OP
OP
S

Scott

Nude Photos Here!

G'day,
Some pics of the smash and progress to date attached.
Reagards,
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_4616 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4616 (Medium).JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4619 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4619 (Medium).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4641 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4641 (Medium).JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4655 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4655 (Medium).JPG
    89 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4662 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4662 (Medium).JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4665 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4665 (Medium).JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 65

HappyHour

That one baddass looking CS that looks like it got in a fight. Im sure in a couple of years you will be telling the story, showing pics saying...

"Yeah but you should see what I did to the bridge, mate!". Good to see it coming along Scott!

Noticed your of those horse\corral in the grill type? :wink:

OP
OP
S

Scott

Not actually a fan of the pony on grille at all. My wife is fond of it though. Maybe I should say was fond of it. Always wanted to get rid of it and now's my chance!

Speaking of the grille, we've started modification of the 67 replacement and I must thank paul for the great help his book has been.

OP
OP
S

Scott

is the grand canyon in california?

Has anyone else had experience with this?... Or able to offer an idea on how to fix it up best?

Attachments

• Bit of  a gap (Medium).JPG
    Bit of a gap (Medium).JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
S

Scott

Fender Bolts

Stumped on the fender bolts today - mine were chromed during the car's last restoration. Is there a "correct" bolt finish to use? Can find black and cadmium bolts for sale here - http://www.metropartsmarket.com/catalog/classicmustangparts-c26s3.html but which is right for the Special? Sure I've read something about this before but cannot find it now.
Thanks in advance,
Scott

Mosesatm

Stumped on the fender bolts today - mine were chromed during the car's last restoration. Is there a "correct" bolt finish to use? Can find black and cadmium bolts for sale here - http://www.metropartsmarket.com/catalog/classicmustangparts-c26s3.html but which is right for the Special? Sure I've read something about this before but cannot find it now.
Thanks in advance,
Scott

Here is a page from the 2008 NPD catalog. Note the outlined box on the right side of the page.

Attachments

• bumper bolts.pdf
    343.2 KB · Views: 27

franklinair

'68's use the Cad plated fender bolts. I got mine from NPD. Good product.

Neil

OP
OP
S

Scott

Undercoat & Engine Bay!

Thank you Neil, have found a local supplier with those in stock - and they are AUD$2.00 each which seemed expensive until I saw that NPDs would cost more than double by the time I got them to Australia.

My question was more about what stamping there should be on the top of the bolts. The old ones in my car include dittos, RBW, S, SEMS, anchors and some ones with three marks on them, and that is only the cad plated ones! Wondered if there was such a wide variety on other cars?

Here's progress to date - engine going home over the weekend and then she's off to the sparky. Not sure what I'll do there but thinking it makes sense to go for a set of new harnesses since the originals have been canibalised over the years.

Attachments

• IMG_4685.jpg
    IMG_4685.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4687.jpg
    IMG_4687.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4720.jpg
    IMG_4720.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4745.jpg
    IMG_4745.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 49

robert campbell

Wow, why is the master brake cylinder on the right side? Which way does the water in the whirlpool spin in the loo!

Alright Rob, knock it off!!

Awesome!! Who is sparky?