• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS engine numbers

66hcs-conv

Hi all,

On our '66, is there a number on the engine that should match or be close to the VIN?

I've got the engine removed, waiting for the machine shop to open on Tues.

Interested to see if any numbers on the engine match the vin, or production date of the car.

Thanks, Dave

Mosesatm

I think engine VIN stamping started in 1968 but I won't swear to it.

robert campbell

Dave,
Above the starter on the block should be a casting number when the block is upside down. Your car could be a "C6AE" or even a "C5AE". Or maybe a "C6OE" or "C5OE".

As Arlie said, it is doubtful that the VIN will be in the block on the flat area behind the seal area of the back of the intake manifold like many later cars got.

Rob

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

In the location as described by Rob, are the numbers:

O C5AE 6015E

Can anybody tell me what the numbers mean? Any indication as to a date?

THANKS, Dave

Mosesatm

There should be a date code above the engine code. The attached photo is of an engine from one of my old cars (obviously not numbers matching). I think it was built May 23rd, 1966.

This is a great website for deciphering codes.
http://www.mustangtek.com/block/Block.html

Your engine is a '65-'68 289, standard or HiPo.

From what I've read Ford used the same block for standard 289s and HiPos. Only the main bearing caps are different.

Attachments

• Engine and Date Codes.jpg
    Engine and Date Codes.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

robert campbell

your engine is a 1965 cast number, but early 1966 cars may have had it. Heck even many months into the year a 1966 car may have 1965 blocks. there are also numbers on your heads. Both "C5 or C6 blah blah" numbers but also date codes as Arlie points out. Provide us those and we can tell you the date of the casting.

Rob

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

The little tag with the date code is so "garbled", I can't read it. I've had my wife and a neighbor look at it and we can't make out any thing numeric or alpha.

I am going to put some paint stripper on it and see if I can get it bare metal.
Maybe that will help.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Ruppstang

If you have a Marti report you can ask Marti Auto works to make you a new tag. It does take a while, I ordered one in February and still have not received it.

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

Paint stripper didn't help, still unreadable. The screw(s) that hold the tag are filled with junk - can't even get a screwdriver to go into the slot.

I'll wait until I get the engine back from machine shop. Maybe their cleaning process will make the tag readable.

Thanks for all your help.

Dave

CougarCJ

Paint stripper didn't help, still unreadable. The screw(s) that hold the tag are filled with junk - can't even get a screwdriver to go into the slot.

I'll wait until I get the engine back from machine shop. Maybe their cleaning process will make the tag readable.

Thanks for all your help.

Dave

Whoa, those aren't actual screws that you see associated with the casting date number. They are were transferred in the casting mold, they only look like screw heads.