• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Upholstery question

p51

When I originally bought my CS it came with seats that had been recently re-conditioned with new upholstery but it had no headrests. For safety reasons I purchased some 1969 used seat backs with headrests off of Ebay and replaced the existing seat backs with these. The vinyl on the '69 backs was good enough but not great. Fast forward ahead 10+ years... now the vinyl on the 1969 seat backs is starting to crack/rip and I'd like to replace it. I've got pristine upholstery on the '68 seat backs. So, here is the question...

Can I go back to my 1968 seat backs, remove the seatback foam and upholstery (as one unit without detaching the upholstery from the foam), and use it on the 1969 seat backs? If so, roughly, what steps would this entail?

I was originally thinking about taking the 1969 headrest hardware and moving it to the 1968 seat backs when it struck me that moving the foam+upholstery from the 1968 seats might be much easier... I like "easier" :wink:

Ruppstang

There is no way to move upholstery and foam together. You will have to dissemble it to move it.

franklinair

IIRC, '68 & '69 lowback coupe seat cushions & upholstery are identical size & shape. You would have to trim the '68 upholstery to accommodate the headrests.
Personally, I have upholstery shops due upholstery work. But that's just me.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
p51

p51

IIRC, '68 & '69 lowback coupe seat cushions & upholstery are identical size & shape. You would have to trim the '68 upholstery to accommodate the headrests.
Personally, I have upholstery shops due upholstery work. But that's just me.

Neil

Neil, thanks. I enjoy learning how to do stuff, plus I'm che.. err... frugal... must be the Scot me :wink:

Ruppstang

It is not that difficult of a job. The key is to take your time and pay attention to how it comes apart. Only do one seat at a time so you can go look at the other one if you need to.
Good luck.
Marty