• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68 Convertible Advice

snoopcat

I am looking at buying a 68 Mustang Convertible. I want a car that I can drive during the summer on weekends. I love the look of the 68 Shelby but the price is way too steep - even on the reproductions. I came across a 68 California Special clone convertible on E-bay. I loved the way it resembled the Shelby. I have since found out from this site the CS was not available on convertibles. I am asking for opinions and advice on the following:

What is is your general opinion about a CS convertible tribute? Do you think I should try to keep the 68 standard?

If I was to build a tribute - @ how much money in CS parts would I need to purchase to convert?

Any ideas or guidance is welcomed!

Midnight Special

Welcome snoopcat!

Since you love the look of the Shelby convertible and want to drive and enjoy it without the huge financial risk of a real one - I say build a '68 convertible precisely the way you want. Personally, I would stop short of putting the GT/CS scripts and stripes on it (to avoid confusion) and lean more toward a Shelby decor. I too have seen and like the GT/CS tribute convertibles, but wouldn't want to perpetuate the myth that it was a genuine tribute.

franklinair

I've also seen this '68 convert presently on E-bay. The seller says in the description that it has some rust issues in the rocker panels (which happen to be adjacent to the frame rails). I sent the seller a question as to what extent the rust had advanced. NO RESPONSE. So be careful. It's fixable, but a big job involving frame rails, floorpans, etc. It is a handsome looking car, and the pricing did't seem too bad. I'd give it a thorough inspection though, before making any offer/bid. (Cowls, floorpans, frame rails, torque boxes) I'm in the middle of a '68 convert right now (Sunlit Gold) acquired off E-bay, so I know of which I speak!!:rolleyes:

Neil