• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Road Warrior 2

Mosesatm

I decided to get back in the game by purchasing a red GT/CS that Tim used to own. It then went to a kid in Seattle, then to Neil. I recently bought it from Neil.

At the moment all I'm doing it making sure it's road worthy so I can drive it to Rob's shop for an AOD swap, but even that small task is turning into an adventure.

The car would barely run well enough to get out of its own way. The choke was sort of open so I figured I'd start with the spark plugs. Five of the spark plug wires pulled loose of the metal connectors, and they weren't the type that can be recrimped; the boots are glued to the wires.

I thought that was surely the problem but then I checked the spark plugs. All the plugs on the driver side were gapped at 8, while all the plugs on the passenger side were properly gapped at 34. After gapping the plugs, installing new wires, and a cap and rotor, the engine runs like a dream. The test drive was scary because the car had no interest in stopping but fixing the brakes is a chore for another day.

Neil says this is all part of the fun but I'm not sure.

So everyone else can have as much fun as I, without getting their hands dirty I do have a couple questions I hope you can help me with.

The first photo shows the gear lube from the standard 8" differential. It's full of tiny air bubbles. At first I thought it was metal but nope, it's definitely air. The rear end grinds, howls, whines, whatever, when I let off the gas so I'm pretty sure it's in need of a rebuild, but since I'm going with an AOD I'll probably replace it with a 3.00. Is the gear oil supposed to look like it does in the photo, full of air bubbles? Can I drive it like it is for a few hundred miles or shall I replace the oil?

The second photo shows two heat riser tubes on the exhaust manifold. What's with that? One of them is capped so I have no idea where it is supposed to connect. Any thoughts?

The third photo is the original Road Warrior, and the last photo is the new version.

Thanks

Attachments

• Gear Oil 2.jpg
    Gear Oil 2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 51
  • Heat Tubes.jpg
    Heat Tubes.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 60
  • The Best 2.jpg
    The Best 2.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Road Warrior 2.jpg
    Road Warrior 2.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 55

CougarCJ

That looks pretty thin for gear oil, it looks like you have some contamination?

I would lean more towards a 3.50 ratio for a carbureted V8 engine, but that is just me.

You had the Road Warrior 1, when you came by that time, right?

Ruppstang

The tubes are for the heat stove that connects to the carburetor and choke assembly.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

That looks pretty thin for gear oil, it looks like you have some contamination?

I would lean more towards a 3.50 ratio for a carbureted V8 engine, but that is just me.

You had the Road Warrior 1, when you came by that time, right?

Could a plugged vent keep the air from escaping, creating the bubbles?
The car will be a highway cruiser so I’m shooting for low highway RPMs.
Yep, the aqua car was the original Road Warrior.

CougarCJ

Could a plugged vent keep the air from escaping, creating the bubbles?
The car will be a highway cruiser so I’m shooting for low highway RPMs.
Yep, the aqua car was the original Road Warrior.

Check with your Transmission supplier. Had a buddy running a Lentech Ford AOD and a 2.75 rear gear. He almost burned up the transmission, because not enough fluid was circulating? I think that was the reason.

What happened to your six shooter? We thought that was the RW2

robert campbell

Arlie,
Whew, that car did not leave my garage like that. It also purred like a kitten and the choke worked great.

The one tube goes to the fitting on the top right side of the carb that kinda angles forward. It connects to the fitting with a short vacuum hose. This allows the choke to draw "filtered clean" air down to the exhaust manifold and then up the other tube to the choke stove. This provides hot air to release the choke as the car warms up.

I also think that 3.00 are to high. With 25 inch tires and a 3.50 ratio the car will do 70 at 2,500 rpm. 3.25 would be a good ratio. Make sure you know the height of your rear tires you plan to run. Use .75 as the ratio for the AOD in overdrive. Below is a cool calculator for you and others to use. Just plug in the numbers. I feel that 2,500 is a nice rpm for cruising and is in the fat part of the 289 torque curve.

Rob

https://spicerparts.com/calculators/transmission-ratio-rpm-calculator

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

My reasoning for the taller gears is that almost all modern cars turn between 1600 and 2000 at 70. I’m trying to get to that range to save wear and tear on the engine, increase mileage, and create a more comfortable highway driving experience. Off the line snap doesn’t interest me.
The car currently turns 2500(ish) at 70 with 26” tires and 2.79 gears. If you think that RPM range is best for the highway should I leave the car the way it is and just rebuild the 2.79? Doing so would certainly save a lot of money.

I'm going to remove the pumpkin this weekend to replace the old gear lube, and take a look at the wear patterns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Arlie,
Whew, that car did not leave my garage like that. It also purred like a kitten and the choke worked great.

[snip]

Neither you or Neil would ever do that.

My WAG is that Crofton and/or one of his buddies tried to tune it up without knowing which end of the wrench to use.

robert campbell

My reasoning for the taller gears is that almost all modern cars turn between 1600 and 2000 at 70. I’m trying to get to that range to save wear and tear on the engine, increase mileage, and create a more comfortable highway driving experience. Off the line snap doesn’t interest me.
The car currently turns 2500(ish) at 70 with 26” tires and 2.79 gears. If you think that RPM range is best for the highway should I leave the car the way it is and just rebuild the 2.79? Doing so would certainly save a lot of money.

I'm going to remove the pumpkin this weekend to replace the old gear lube, and take a look at the wear patterns.

Actually a 289 auto Mustang with 2.79 gears will approach 20 to 21 miles to the gallon on a nice flat stretch. I had one that did that. With that thinking you are in the ball park. The reason modern cars get better mileage is a combination of fuel injection, friction reduction, variable timing, and 6 or 8 speed transmissions. More gears equal more mileage and more performance. A little motor with the mechanical advantage of a 6 speed tranny feels a lot bigger in acceleration.

The reason to install an AOD is to get more snap and it will get better mileage as it has another gear to work with. But much more mileage? I suppose in a clinical study under similar conditions that an AOD with 3.50 gears would produce a mile or so to the gallon better against the 2.79 and C4 with 26 inch tall tires. But it would be doubtful. On a dead flat road the AOD and 3.50 would spin just a little less than the 2.79 setup. Around town an AOD and 3.50 setup could increase you gas mileage, but again not that much.

The real beauty of the AOD setup is a much more spirted acceleration than a 2.79 setup. But if that does not matter you will never pay for the AOD in gas mileage savings or in engine wear. A new 289 taken care of properly will go 200k miles without problems with todays upgrades and oils. That is a long time.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Ugh, I totally forgot about the crush washers. Removing those little buggers took longer than all the rest of the project.

The pumpkin is out and halfway cleaned up so I'll take it to a guy in town who came highly recommended to have him check it out. If it's good I'll just put it back in, but if it needs a rebuild I'll probably go with shorter gears and add the AOD.

3.00 or 3.25, not 3.50........mainly because I'm stubborn.

Here's a chart that shows RPMs at various speeds using various gear ratios with a .75 overdrive.

Attachments

• RPM at Various Speeds and Various Rear Gears.jpg
    RPM at Various Speeds and Various Rear Gears.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

robert campbell

Arlie,
I think 3.25 would a great ratio for you!! A bit more spunky and great cruising rpm's!

Rob

robert campbell

Arlie,
Great charts! They will help a lot of our owners figure out what they want to do as far as gear ratios.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The charts are from an Excel spreadsheet that I can send to anyone who wants it.

The rebuilt pumpkin with 3.25 gears will be ready next week. Another week to go through the brakes, replace the U-joints, and pack the front bearings, and it will be AOD time.

CougarCJ

Pretty sure that you need to change drive shafts for AOD's? shorter?

68 special

I put the AOD behind my 351w and it runs about 2200 at 70. I have 3.73 gears. It launches good enough to smoke the tires and chirps going into 2nd which equals smiles per mile, LOL...

I also had to go with Ford powertrain headers as the AOD is wider.

just a little food for thought.

Bret

mbsf1970

Arlie,
Is that original road Warrior the one I drove with MT? It was so smooth on the freeway at such a low RPM. I enjoyed driving it despite my girafe legs getting in the way of a 1st to 2nd shift!
Stephen