• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Anyone prefers the wheelcovers over the styled wheels?

classicsguy

If your car according to the Marti report had wheel covers either deluxe or standard,did you change it to the optional styled wheels or put back the wheel covers?

Maybe some of you are purists and would like to keep the car as it came fron factory.

My project GT/CS came in according to Marti report with the deluxe wheel covers and still undecided what to put at end of restoration...maybe this post will help me decide.

franklinair

IMHO, The wheel covers are BLAH. I opted for the S/S wheels many, many years ago. I just purchased a set of Shelby wheels for my C/S, although not specifically correct. I'm adding my Argent S/S wheels to my '68 convert. Both selections are "period correct" , but not as noted on their Marti Reports. They just look better & enhance the car's appearance, again IMO. I currently possess 2 sets of wheel covers. If anyone would like a set, just say the word.

Neil

CALIF GIRL

My Marti report says deluxe wheel covers. I opted for S/S wheels. I think they look better...But I also painted my car a different color than the Marti says it was...(awaiting the slaughter)lol

Midnight Special

...Or 'how'bout Magnum 500s?
Now that you know what everyone else likes (or thinks), just do what You like :) Going "full Marti" doesn't guarantee full happiness...

Attachments

• 1301222575_8320f6bc16.jpg
    1301222575_8320f6bc16.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 35
P

PNewitt

I think that wheelcovers or S/S wheels is a matter of context.

Even if your Marti Report said that it had this or that wheelcovers, the original buyer could have opted for the chrome S/S wheels as a dealer option (with the plain center caps, if not a GT, but GTs got the argent S/S wheels standard (and could upgrade to the chrome ones at the dealer as well).

The thing about the GT/CS is that although it's a Mustang, it has enough Shelby elements to warrant some sportier wheels. To me, wheelcovers on a Mustang with stripes, side scoops and a spoiler just looks weird....but that's just my personal opinion.

There is a lot to be said for going totally stock, and going with any type of wheelcover, because that was the way it was then. You could go with the E-70-14 tires and std or dlx wheelcovers...and have it that way in a show, and that would be that. If you've owned your CS for a LONG time, and it always had the wheelcovers, then stay with that. It's all about historical context.

I've seen BOSS 302 and Torino GTs with those little dog dish hubcaps. Awful looking...but that was the way it was back then, too.

I like the Shelby 10-spokes. For historical sakes--you "could" get them through a Ford dealer...as a Shelby part back in '68. But few GT/CS owners actually did that, and if they did, it was probably in L.A. If you use them, I'd recommend polishing them. Since the CS is a formal looking Mustang, I think that you should go as classy as possible.

Even though one could go with what's popular today...I wish to respect those who have the original hubcaps, and thank them for staying with "what was on the car originally". There is a lot to be said for those who stick to their guns on that....

and oh...what's this about Calif Girl changing her car's color?? UH-OH!!! What was it? Donna Green?...er..Lime Gold....??? I know a certain Beige GT/CS floating around that is painted black, too. I actually like your red CS, C-G. It made a great background car for the GAS event in April...beautiful paintjob, too.

Paul N.

CALIF GIRL

and oh...what's this about Calif Girl changing her car's color?? UH-OH!!! What was it? Donna Green?...er..Lime Gold....???
Paul N.

:eek: I have been caught...felony color changing,,,,:icon_no: i am a baaad girl

GTCS07

It's a 1/2 hour job to change over so put on what works for you. Considering the lack of choices in 14" rubber I would use 15" Magnums or Shelby wheels myself. I wouldn't use hubcaps at all, I don't care how correct or not they are. I don't believe they add to a performance car's look. Wheels make any car.

Midnight Special

...Classicsguy, you are forever asking for opinions and getting what everyone else wants. How'bout you just do it your way and surprise us with the results? Believe it or not - you're nobody's robot.

It boils down to choices between many factory options to suit a wide range of tastes and many more aftermarket options to enhance excitement, while bringing the car into the 21st century ie: contemporary colors, wheels, performance alternatives...You name it.

So make it your "baby" and enjoy it!

There is no shortage of purists who will keep their's "exact" to the best of ability for posterity, thus - GT/CS is not an endangered species. Rest assured, you'll get a "thumbs up" no matter what you decide (but keep a set of wheel covers should get pressured to comply;-)