• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Going to rebuild the original 289 for my car

CALIF GIRL

I am planning on taking my original 289 to be rebuilt soon.. I know next to nothing about engines...I want it to have some power, but I do not want to worry about heavy maintance on it...

Any suggestions of what to do to it?

Mustanglvr

If you don`t mind it not being perfectly original you can put a 4 barrell carb and intake on it, and a high performance cam would be good. The guys will have plenty of suggestions I`m sure.

rvrtrash

I don't know how much power you want or at what level you consider maint. to be too heavy so I'll give my opinion based on best guess. When you have the engine rebuilt, ask for what would be considered an "RV" cam. This will have a little more lift and duration than stock for a better sound and a little more performance without being radical. Have the engine balanced. While it doesn't really help performance, use bronze valve guides instead of knurling. I would use around 9.0:1 for a compression ratio. Any higher and you'll be stuck using premium gas all the time. Buy a dual plane alum. manifold and a carb. no larger than 600 cfm. Holley makes a 570 cfm that's supposed to be good but I've never used it personally. For a conservative build, you won't need headers and by using the stock exhaust manifolds you avoid the hassles headers can entail. Use some low restriction mufflers and go with dual exhaust and you should be fine. Finally, have an electronic ignition distributor installed. I like using the factory Ford unit and building a custom harness for it. Hope this helps.
Steve

Perkchiro

Just got my 302 up and running today. I rebuilt it myself and it was a fun and educational experience. I did the tear down and sent it off to the machine shop to test the block for cracks or imperfections. Once that was determined, they bored and aligned honed the cylinders, set up the forged pistons and rods and balanced the engine and crank. I purchased custom heads from www.Powerheads.com. I used cast iron hypo exhaust manifolds, available from most mustang suppliers. This provides a similar free flow exhaust as headers, without the headaches concerning rusting or discoloration or leaks. I used a mild cam upgrade from Crane with a 256 grind that gives a mild lope at idle. I used an Edelbrock performer manifold with an Edelbrock performer carb (600 cfm, electric choke). I had the tranny rebuilt with a shift kit. My best estimate is that the engine should produce about 300 ponies. Not a beast but will be fun to drive. You should consider a high volume oil pump and perhaps a radiator upgrade to allow effective cooling. Having an old engine upgraded with modern goodies is fun and will produce many days of exhilarating driving. Have fun and good luck as you begin this project.

Steve

still looking for one

CALIF GIRL said:
I am planning on taking my original 289 to be rebuilt soon.. I know next to nothing about engines...I want it to have some power, but I do not want to worry about heavy maintance on it...

Hi,

May I add a few thoughts, based on the past ownership of a '67 289-2v Cougar, a distant cousin of yours? This is indeed as part of your rebuild project, a nice time to think about some mild upgrades for a bit more power.

So long as you save all the engine bits you replace, (so you can put them back or a next owner can, if they want the caqr returned to stock, for authenticity at car shows and to claim an original car) I would feel comfortable with putting the car in order as you see fit) Since more power means getting gasoline and air into the car faster, and getting exhaust out faster, an upgrade to a four barrel carburettor, and a manifold if necessary, mated to a free flowing exhaust, maybe with magnaflow mufflers, will really put a smile on your face when you touch the gas. If your exhaust still is original, likely it has a resonator, as well, which probably you dont need to keep. With magnaflows the tone will be nice an mellow andrich, but shouldn't drone at 65 mph.

Does the engine seem to rattle abit when it starts, then settle down. If so, and the car has over 120,000 miles on it, the timing chain might be ready to let go, so I would replace it right now, along with the water pump, which would need to be pulled off to get to the chain. Those jobs are straightforward and won't break the bank, but if the chain goes, AFTER your motor gets rebuilt, the valves will collide and, well, you will need another rebuild. Trust me on that. So, when your new engine is done, hopefully you will have new hoses (DON't) forget the little bypass hose). You will be good to go!

With the extra go if your car doesn't have fronjt disc brakes, it would be a great time to get them now. Don't you think? I would pay a few dollars extra and buy a disc brake pedal pad with the silver circle on it too. Yes it will cost something extra for a drum to drum conversion, but there is a reason the cars today have disc and not drium brakes. They stop faster and don't fade and are better in rain!!

I learned the hard way abouot bypass hoses and drum brakes. Don't ask!!

Good luck Jim B.
Bwst3e3 q

still looking for one

CALIF GIRL said:

Hi,

May I add a few thoughts, based on the past ownership of a '67 289-2v Cougar, a distant cousin of yours? This is indeed as part of your rebuild project, a nice time to think about some mild upgrades for a bit more power.

So long as you save all the engine bits you replace, (so you can put them back or a next owner can, if they want the caqr returned to stock, for authenticity at car shows and to claim an original car) I would feel comfortable with putting the car in order as you see fit) Since more power means getting gasoline and air into the car faster, and getting exhaust out faster, an upgrade to a four barrel carburettor, and a manifold if necessary, mated to a free flowing exhaust, maybe with magnaflow mufflers, will really put a smile on your face when you touch the gas. If your exhaust still is original, likely it has a resonator, as well, which probably you dont need to keep. With magnaflows the tone will be nice an mellow andrich, but shouldn't drone at 65 mph.

Does the engine seem to rattle abit when it starts, then settle down. If so, and the car has over 120,000 miles on it, the timing chain might be ready to let go, so I would replace it right now, along with the water pump, which would need to be pulled off to get to the chain. Those jobs are straightforward and won't break the bank, but if the chain goes, AFTER your motor gets rebuilt, the valves will collide and, well, you will need another rebuild. Trust me on that. So, when your new engine is done, hopefully you will have new hoses (DON't) forget the little bypass hose). You will be good to go!

With the extra go if your car doesn't have fronjt disc brakes, it would be a great time to get them now. Don't you think? I would pay a few dollars extra and buy a disc brake pedal pad with the silver circle on it too. Yes it will cost something extra for a drum to drum conversion, but there is a reason the cars today have disc and not drium brakes. They stop faster and don't fade and are better in rain!!

I learned the hard way abouot bypass hoses and drum brakes. Don't ask!!

Good luck Jim B.
Bwst3e3 q

OP
OP
CALIF GIRL

CALIF GIRL

Thanks for the ideas. Right now my car has a 302 in it. About 15 years ago the timing chain went on the 289, so we put in the 302. We kept the 289 with the intention of rebuilding it someday.

The 302 runs great, I just want to put the original engine back in. During the restoration I have tried to keep things close to original. There are a couple of things I changed(color, seats are cloth instead of vinyl and I have aftermarket rims) but thats about it.

Now its about time to start on the engine.

Anyone else have ideas?

davidathans

rebuild your original 289 as original as you can....what i would do is take your 302...go to B&D racing in Canoga Park...have them bored it .030 over and either use the 3.00"stroke 302 crank...or throw in a 3.400" crank(for 347cid) and get new rods and pistons at the same time then you can race against me at LACR sometime. :) i just think it would be awesome to race a Sgt who has a 347 GTCS!!!

nfrntau

For those of you who are running the original air cleaner on your cars and would like just a little more umff for general cruising.
Flip the lid of your air cleaner upside down when not at shows. On my 67 with a 289 in it this little trick raised my top end from 105 to 110. It's just a way to get more air to your carb, keep a filter in place and not alter anything. A poor boys high po air cleaner if you will.

OP
OP
CALIF GIRL

CALIF GIRL

David,

Sorry I missed you racing..Work got too busy..Let me know next time and I will try again..

CJ 56

Hi there from New Zealand, My thoughts, Steve ( perkchiro) puts it well and nfrntau's air cleaner tip is very good and works. The others comments also add value.
Now here is some thing of interest for you. My CS was built only a few days before yours. 13/02/68 and to the same general spec, We both, now have Red cars though ( mine was Meddow Lark yellow).
I got mine with semi high rise and a 600 Holly ( 600 was too much) All I have done is a new exhast, 490 Holly and K&N Air Cleaner ( no obstruction all round type air cleaner) and the car is a different machine.
I have just got a GTA, A code convertible and it is set up the same but uses factory Air cleaner and fctory 4 barrel, but has a ton of go, the A code cam makes the difference. So from a practical point of view Steve touched on the bits that make a diference, but there is heaps you can do as out lined by the other comments. I have not tryed the electronic ignition but it can only give better consistant spark so has go to be good.
PS 490 Holly gives good performance and good fuel ecconomy.

Chris
NZ