• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Questions on Car for Sale--Rpl 289, Consoles

Redwingrobb

Sorry to hit you folks right out of the gate, but I'm looking at purchasing a CS that has a replacement 289 and has the consoles installed. Just wanted some thoughts on how that affects value and if the consoles (upper/lower) were a stock item or option? Also, would I be able to order a Marti report on the VIN only or am I looking at getting the body code, etc. They told me it was a "C" Code...

case12

A C code is a 289. Unless you are really into original numbers matching stuff for MCA shows, then a replacement would be ok. It is all a matter of personal preference. I have replacement heads (period correct) on my 289 - am I worried - not really. I also added a Edlebrock intake and 4 barrel carb (and kept the original ones).

Everybody has their own way with their CS, but it is nice to know it is a real CS. That brings us to the Marti report. The ONLY ways to tell if it is a real CS is to have the original window sales sticker, or at least the basic Marti report (minimal cost). I believe all you need is the VIN. And for a few extra bucks they can expedite it.

The consoles (top and bottom) were an option. They would show up on the window sticker or Marti report. Many have added them because they like them. My CS did not originally come with a top or bottom console, but they were added. I have kept them because they look nice and they are period correct.

Casey

BroadwayBlue

Hey redwingrobb

I see in another thread that you've been getting a lot of good advice.
You've come to the right place. Everyone on this sight is fantastic and willing to help in anyway they can.

They were the biggest resource for me on what to look for, questions to ask etc. I knew exactly what I was getting into after talking to people from this site. I'm now the proud owner of a CS. It's not perfect but I love it and it gets all kind of looks and questions at shows and cruises.

Don't worry about jumping in with both feet to ask questions - we're all willing to help. Ask away!

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

BroadwayBlue said:
Hey redwingrobb

I see in another thread that you've been getting a lot of good advice.
You've come to the right place. Everyone on this sight is fantastic and willing to help in anyway they can.

They were the biggest resource for me on what to look for, questions to ask etc. I knew exactly what I was getting into after talking to people from this site. I'm now the proud owner of a CS. It's not perfect but I love it and it gets all kind of looks and questions at shows and cruises.

Don't worry about jumping in with both feet to ask questions - we're all willing to help. Ask away!

Yeah, I've gotten more feedback in two days than I could have researched in two months. One way or another, one of those puppies will be in my garage. I miss my old 68 coupe and almost bought a 66 this past week. But I started thinking that I wanted to get my dream car. Figured, what the hey, let's pay a little more for something I am going to keep long term vs. a "quick fix." These cars have always been intriguing to me..

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

BroadwayBlue said:
Good Luck hunting one down and make sure you keep us up to date!

I will let you know tomorrow. That's when the moment of truth (the Marti Report) happens......if it's positive, I'm positively getting it...Robb