• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Black GT/CS at Mecum Indianapolis

Mosesatm

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0516-243160/0/1968-Ford-Mustang-GT-California-Special/Automatic/

Engine
289 CI
Trans
Automatic
Color
Black
Interior
Red

ESTIMATE: $40,000 - $60,000

In February 1968, Ford unveiled a new option package for Mustang coupes in the high-volume California market. Inspired by “Little Red,” a prototype built to examine the feasibility of a notchback Shelby coupe, the Mustang GT/California Special featured a mixture of Shelby-style body pieces and special items unique to the GT/CS.

These included a blacked-out front grille with fog lights, quarter-turn hood locks, non-functioning fiberglass body-side scoops, fiberglass quarter-panel and trunk-lid extensions, a pop-off gas cap, non-sequential Thunderbird tail lights, unique body-side striping and chromed “California Special” quarter-panel script. Ford even added the styled steel wheels and extra-wide tires that were part of the Mustang GT option package. The GT/CS could be ordered with any drivetrain combination and other options available in the Mustang.

The total production number of 4,118 usually cited includes 251 modified for the Colorado market and called High Country Specials, making this sharp example one of just 3,867 produced.

A rust-free car showing just 32,179 miles, it received a restoration on the original body panels and included building the C-code 289/195 HP engine to 271 HP HiPo specifications. The finished engine has all the right ingredients: a Holley 4-barrel carburetor on a Shelby Cobra aluminum intake, exhaust headers, a Cobra finned aluminum dress kit including valve covers and oval air cleaner, and chromed export brace and Monte Carlo bar. A Select-Shift 3-speed automatic transmission, twin-tip dual exhaust and chromed GT styled steel wheels with BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires. Finished in Raven Black with red GT/CS stripes, the car incorporates a contrasting red interior with bucket seats and center console, a wood-rimmed steering wheel, pushbutton radio and Sunpro auxiliary gauges.

HIGHLIGHTS

- Restoration on original body
- Rust free car
- Believed to be 32,179 miles
- C-code 289 CI engine
- Shelby Cobra aluminum intake
- 4-barrel Holley carburetor
- Cobra engine dress up kit
- Engine built to 271 HP HiPo specs
- Automatic transmission
- Shelby hood locks and fiberglass trunk
- Shelby rear tails and detail
- Shelby side scoops and Lucas fog lights
- Black with Red interior
- Bucket seats and console
- Wood steering wheel
- Sunpro auxiliary gauges
- BF Goodrich radial tires
- Chrome GT wheels

Attachments

• sc0516-243160_12.jpg
    sc0516-243160_12.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 37

Don

These fetch that much?

Only takes one boozed up bidder to set a new high water mark :grin:
Nothing like free booze, TV cameras, and auction frenzy, to create unrealistic expectations :icon_evil

CougarCJ

Black with red stripes is one of my favorite GT/CS paint schemes.

Neil, you should take yours to Mecum, it might have a pre auction estimate of $50-70,000.
Neil, your car is bargain priced at $35k. Leaving money on the table my friend.

p51

Only takes one boozed up bidder to set a new high water mark :grin:
Nothing like free booze, TV cameras, and auction frenzy, to create unrealistic expectations :icon_evil

Along with having more dollars than sense...

p51

Black with red stripes is one of my favorite GT/CS paint schemes.

Neil, you should take yours to Mecum, it might have a pre auction estimate of $50-70,000.
Neil, your car is bargain priced at $35k. Leaving money on the table my friend.

From what I've seen of the auction prices this certainly seems like a good idea. There was a GT/CS J or C-code that, what, ~10yrs back sold at one of the auctions for $40+K (if I recall correctly).