• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Opinion: Transmission Options

darb

Well, I know most of us agree that having the original matching numbers on your engine is important to a true original car, not to mention ups the value.

My question sways away from this and moves to the transmission...

If a GT/CS originally came with a C-4 Automatic Transmission, and was switched to a 4 Speed - would you find this to be an OK switch?

Most transmissions have been rebuilt, replaced, and rebuilt again since 1968 - is it THAT important to maintain the original one?

Would converting a C-4 to a 4 Speed lower the value? up the value? make it a non-original vehicle...

What are your thoughts? I see it as: "It was an original option at the time - just not for this car"

Any input would be great...Hopefully I dont start a chaotic discussion!

Thanks

Brad

RacingFan

Hi Brad,

Well, my two cents are that its your car and you should enjoy it. Period. If you want a four speed, then by all means replace the C4. As far as "it could have been ordered with a four speed" comment, I agree, although in 1968 I could have ordered a Shelby GT500KR technically speaking. But I dont think that I could pass my car off as a GT 500KR no matter how much money I put into it to make it close to original! hehe But seriously, I would make the swap and keep the original parts (tranny, etc) to convert back or sell to the next owner (NEVER, right? ). Have fun with it!

hookedtrout

I would agree with the comment that if you change it to the 4 speed make sure and find the best way to keep and store the original transmission so you have it for future resale and if you should ever decide to show the car at a high level as the codes on the car will show what the car originally came with so it would be a deduction if it doesn't have the correct type transmission.

I do think it can reduce the value to change it especially to avid collectors who are the ones that will pay the top dollars. But if you include the original transmission in the sale you should be fine.

Cory

68gt390

Brad;
I would agree with RacingFan. It's your car and you should by all means enjoy it. If it's a 4 speed you want make it a 4 speed. Store the original tranny for resale purposes and you should have no problem. Some collector's see changes such as that as an enhancement to the vehicle's performance. I have made several changes to my 68 GT 390 coupe which are performance enhancements. Most of the original parts I have kept (i.e., rolled exhaust tips, exhaust manifolds and factory cam) except for changes such as the exhaust pipes which I would never go back to a 2" pipe on a 390 car. My GT and GT/CS will never be concours cars because I enjoy driving them to much. That's why I bought them - to enjoy them. Happy motoring.

Don ;D