• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

NOS Headrest Installation and Dying

Redwingrobb

Hey, just picked up a pair of headrests off of Ebay tonight. They're black, but I thought they could be dyed red. First what would be the best way to dye them (foam brush, rag, etc?) I also wanted to know if anyone out there installed a set and if they are easy to install w/out having to take it to a car upholstery shop. Just worried about tearing up the back panels and trying to get them back on. Robb

Mosesatm

To dye them clean them with a vinyl dye cleaner or wax & grease remover and just spray them with the dye. Red over black will probably take 3 coats. Can't help with the back removal since I usually tear them up where the clips attach. Might want to just buy new backs if that's possible.

joedls

Mosesatm said:
Can't help with the back removal since I usually tear them up where the clips attach. Might want to just buy new backs if that's possible.

I bought new backs for my 65 when I tore one up. But I had to buy 2. Couldn't just buy one.