• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68 GT/CS ORIGINAL OWNER

hubert

Our family is thinking of selling our 1968 California Special GT/CS. The car is owned originally by my father. The car was originally purchased in Honolulu Hawaii, then shipped here when my parents moved here to California. The engine sports a healthy, rare 390. The motor is stock. I had it repainted candy apple red about 12 years ago. The paint is still flawless, since it has been undercover in our garage for the past 12 years. I know this is hard to believe but it is all true. The interior is stock but had it re-done completely to stock. (help with Mustang Country formerly of Lakewood Ca) The car was last entered @ Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park 12 years ago and placed 2nd. If you're intereseted we are taking serious offers only. Ill be able to post/send pics to anyone who is interested. We do know what this car is worth since we've been offered quite a few times. Now that we don't have room or the time, it has come to this decision. Thank you very much.

StraightSix

Silly Bluestang, asking prices make it harder for you to gouge people. If you entertain offers, however, you can sell it for much more than it's worth if you happen to find a fool with money to burn ;)

Seriously, hubert, I would suggest posting an asking price. That way if you're asking way too much we can all rant about it ;D If you truly want to auction off your car, I would suggest eBay.

Also, I would really like to know what this car sells for if it sells, and also the amounts of the other offers you received. It would help me with my price guide, as I have yet to record a single data point for a big-block GT/CS.

Anyway, sounds like a sweet car - perhaps you should create a Yahoo Photo album so that we can all see it?

-Winston

OP
OP
H

hubert

[quote author=StraightSix link=board=3;threadid=153;start=0#585 date=1041000125]
Silly Bluestang, asking prices make it harder for you to gouge people. If you entertain offers, however, you can sell it for much more than it's worth if you happen to find a fool with money to burn ;)

Seriously, hubert, I would suggest posting an asking price. That way if you're asking way too much we can all rant about it ;D If you truly want to auction off your car, I would suggest eBay.

Also, I would really like to know what this car sells for if it sells, and also the amounts of the other offers you received. It would help me with my price guide, as I have yet to record a single data point for a big-block GT/CS.

Anyway, sounds like a sweet car - perhaps you should create a Yahoo Photo album so that we can all see it?

-Winston

[/quote]

Ok, when the car was driven to Mustang shows, I had been offered anywhere from 13-$18,000 to some real mustang collectors. Even from the street we had been offered... We held off because we were not interested in parting with the car. I see most of the Ca Specials in here selling anywhere from $4-17,000. I don't know how rare or if they are being sold by the original owners as we are trying to do here. To a collector I know this car is priceless.

We've been offered privately twice. 1 offer was for $10,000 from someone in North Carolina, and another for $4,000 from a student. Right now none of the offers have been accepted, especially the one from the student. ???

I will definatly take some pictures within the week. I just have to borrow a digital camera from a friend to do so. I appreciate all the emails I've received and I won't let you down. The car has been on blocks and garaged and covered with 3 car covers to protect it from any elements. In fact everytime we uncover it we seem not to want to get rid of it. Time will tell. Thank you. ;)

StraightSix

Thanks for the pricing info, hubert. The offer amounts seem to be a bit scattered, but none seem outrageously high if the car is as you describe it. Hopefully you can get those pics soon! In the mean time, what options does it have?

-Winston

OP
OP
H

hubert

[quote author=StraightSix link=board=3;threadid=153;start=0#588 date=1041014058]
Thanks for the pricing info, hubert. The offer amounts seem to be a bit scattered, but none seem outrageously high if the car is as you describe it. Hopefully you can get those pics soon! In the mean time, what options does it have?

-Winston
[/quote]

Options? well it has a heater, automatic, non electri windows c6 transmission, the dual/dual exhaust/tips, the instrument cluster, dash, center console, headliner/maplights are all original. What options were available, and I'll be able to tell you if the car has it or not. :)

Please email me with pix (I don't check in here very often) and how much you want for the car. I live in Los Angeles... thanks!

[quote author=hubert link=board=3;threadid=153;start=0#582 date=1040947427]
Our family is thinking of selling our 1968 California Special GT/CS. The car is owned originally by my father. The car was originally purchased in Honolulu Hawaii, then shipped here when my parents moved here to California. The engine sports a healthy, rare 390. The motor is stock. I had it repainted candy apple red about 12 years ago. The paint is still flawless, since it has been undercover in our garage for the past 12 years. I know this is hard to believe but it is all true. The interior is stock but had it re-done completely to stock. (help with Mustang Country formerly of Lakewood Ca) The car was last entered @ Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park 12 years ago and placed 2nd. If you're intereseted we are taking serious offers only. Ill be able to post/send pics to anyone who is interested. We do know what this car is worth since we've been offered quite a few times. Now that we don't have room or the time, it has come to this decision. Thank you very much.
[/quote]

68sunlitgold

hubert,
the options that are of interest to everyone would be things like:
A/C, tilt steering wheel, cruise control (very rare), convienence group (4 lights on center dash or on center console if you have A/C that are for parking brake on, low fuel, door open, seatbelt undone), power steering (should have if GT car), power brakes (should have if Gt car), electric clock in dash, type of radio (AM, AM/FM, AM 8-track), remote mirror, and interior decor group (woodgrain instrument panel, 2 tone door panels, door grille panels, etc).
This should give you an idea of what people will be looking for, some options are worth more than others.
Doug

OP
OP
H

hubert

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=3;threadid=153;start=0#592 date=1041108675]
hubert,
the options that are of interest to everyone would be things like:
A/C, tilt steering wheel, cruise control (very rare), convienence group (4 lights on center dash or on center console if you have A/C that are for parking brake on, low fuel, door open, seatbelt undone), power steering (should have if GT car), power brakes (should have if Gt car), electric clock in dash, type of radio (AM, AM/FM, AM 8-track), remote mirror, and interior decor group (woodgrain instrument panel, 2 tone door panels, door grille panels, etc).
This should give you an idea of what people will be looking for, some options are worth more than others.
Doug
[/quote] Ok, I got you. No A/C, Tilt steering wheel, cruise control.
Yes on, power steering, power brakes,electric clock, am radio, remote mirror, interior decor w/ woodgrain interior. pics to follow ;)

OP
OP
H

hubert

Ok, here are some pics I took this weekend. I've got a few emails from some people who sound very interested, so here you go. Thanks! I hope I do this right.
CA_SPECIAL_023.jpg
test...

68sunlitgold

hubert,
I forgot to ask you what the VIN # is and when was the engine redone, I only ask because it is painted Chevy orange instead of Ford Blue? Thanks
Doug

OP
OP
H

hubert

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=3;threadid=153;start=0#599 date=1041293676]
hubert,
I forgot to ask you what the VIN # is and when was the engine redone, I only ask because it is painted Chevy orange instead of Ford Blue? Thanks
Doug
[/quote]

yea, I know I was pretty unhappy when my father came home w/ the rebuild. but of course that was when I was in high school, and my father didn't think anything of it from me! Engine was rebuilt back in 1987. I'll have to look up the vin# for you all.

x-codegtcs

Hubert,

Nice looking car to start. I have a DYING question, which no one can answer - at least yet. The good news is I think you can do it!!!!

The deluxe door strap chrome ends have the wood grain insert. I have seen different versions. Could you PLEASE take 3-4 photos up close so I can see how yours look?

thanks!

Bryce

StraightSix

I don't believe that there is a set asking price (see some of the earlier posts), but hubert is accepting offers. However, I do have a price guide of sorts that is based on data I've collected (more accurately, it's 1998 Mustang Monthly price data calibrated for GT/CS cars in the current market). I don't have any big-block GT/CS data points yet (this car would be the first), but I do have the Mustang Monthly guidelines to help here. Based on the condition of the car in the pictures and the information that hubert has told us, my ROUGH estimate is that the car is worth around $15,000. That doesn't account for whatever value you place on knowing that you're buying from the original owner family. That may even be a bit low -- big block GT/CS cars are quite rare. They're really the closest thing to a Shelby you can get in a stock Mustang, performance-wise. They even kinda look like 'em ;)

-Winston

I have the twin to your GT/CS except with 289 cu.in & standard interior . As mine is one owner completely stock & 3000 Miles on rebuilt motor .All #s match and in collector condition but could use new candy apple paint.Would you let me know your final price, as i'm going to put mine up For Sale in the spring.
Thanks Larry

StraightSix

Larry,

Be aware that around 5 grand of the value estimate I gave for hubert's car is due to the 390 engine and the GT option...

-Winston