• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Need Feedback on Restoration Plans - Be Gentle

cnassif

I have a Highland Green C-Code that I have nearly completed all the metal work on. Next is body work and paint. I have the new GT/CS Recognition guide and it is incredibly thorough and a beauty. My name isn't in the registry either but I get to own the car so I'm not too worried about it.

First and foremost, I want to DRIVE this car on a daily basis and I don't have $50k to put into it. That being said, I'm confused about what to do when restoring it. As Paul notes on page 135 of his book, the "daily driver" represents most of us GT/CS owners. I do not have the original engine for safety am planning on adding disc brakes, use newer AC, and big crate motor of some kind. I will probably also be converting it from automatic to manual. Many of you out there may already be cringing but I would like my restomod to be safe and perform.

I am doing a complete "frame off" rotisserie clean up and then going to paint. I would like your feedback on my choices.
Choice 1: Paint it the original Highland Green (not a lot of pop to this color)
Choice 2: Paint it another GT/CS color
Choice 3: Paint it a custom color to highlight its restomod / custom status.

Understanding that my goal is not resale value but it is to drive and enjoy for myself for years to come, what are your thoughts?

P.S. For the purists out there who have restored theirs to original, I commend you all. After reading what goes into every hose clamp and part to make sure its concourse correct, I commend each and every one of you. Especially knowing that you had to gather all this information before the book came out. Well done. I just would feel bad to drive it after doing all that work and I really, really want to drive it. Go easy on me.

Mosesatm

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm better now.

Please keep it Highland Green.

Thank you

rvrtrash

I guess my first question would be, "What color do you like?" If you're going to be looking at it every day, you should like the color. If you do change it, please be thorough and paint the jams, under trunk and hood, etc. Opening a door and seeing a different color diminishes the car in my opinion. A common thread here is to save your old parts and don't do any mod that can't be reversed. Other than that, I think most would support your choices. Oh, and by the way, I think an awful lot of the information in the book came from the people here at one time or another. We've always tried to help each other.

Steve

Northern Pony

Christian;
My car is almost as stock and correctly detailed as any, I love my car and get many thumb's up, but I am not a purist. Fact is I bought the car this way, and the car is too good an example to modify if you know what I mean. If I was doing another it would be a restomod. If I have a message it is; do it the way you want, enjoy it thourghly, and drive it like you stole it.
BoB

Midnight Special

..."A big crate motor, automatic to manual and Highland Green" will surely make for an awesome driving machine!...in my book :)

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 39

J_Speegle

My only comment would be that if your restoring the car you have little choice than to return it to the factory color. Now if you want to modify the car then choose any color that you prefer. Just don't call it restored ;)

We often hear that an owner is not concerned about resale and such only to sell the car for sale the following year due to some unseen situation.

Make your choice, be happy and proud of the choice but be prepared for what may come and enjoy as best you can

My couple of cents :icon_ecst

OP
OP
C

cnassif

I have been reading over the responses and I understand the two schools of thought very well. I've been on this site for just over 3 years and have read many different opinions...all are very passionate. I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to many more both encouraging and dissenting.

So far the tally is:
Don't change it idiot - 5.5 votes
Do what you like - 3.5 votes

The .5 vote is for Midnight special who said to keep it the same color but have fun with the big engine and manual tranny.

What about a Green Hornet Tribute (although that would probably cost me a grip)? You guys like that idea?

Without going into a ridiculously long story, my parents bought one new in 68. It went to my grandmother and I bought it from her when I turned 18. I couldn't afford the gas and maintenance costs so I had to sell it. I have tried to find it but have not been able to get the VIN, as I gave all the records to the new owner. It was a Gulfstream Aqua 302 4bbl with deluxe interior, AC, and a black vinyl top. I was half thinking of converting this one and giving it back to Dad and Mom because I couldn't find the original.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cnassif

I guess my first question would be, "What color do you like?" If you're going to be looking at it every day, you should like the color. If you do change it, please be thorough and paint the jams, under trunk and hood, etc. Opening a door and seeing a different color diminishes the car in my opinion. A common thread here is to save your old parts and don't do any mod that can't be reversed. Other than that, I think most would support your choices. Oh, and by the way, I think an awful lot of the information in the book came from the people here at one time or another. We've always tried to help each other.

Steve

Whatever color it ends up being, it will be done properly...I assure you.

OP
OP
C

cnassif

Steve

Whatever color it ends up being, it will be done properly...I assure you.

Also, I am certain that a lot of the info in the book was gathered from this forum. I just wanted to give a nod to all those who help put this information together. It's a God-send for any of us who want to bring these gorgeous cars back to life.

As you can see from My Garage, the one I got was in bad shape.

68CaliSp

In your case Cnassif I would say go with what you would like, especially when it comes to the paint. I have only seen Highland Green once and have to admit it is a very pretty color but I really enjoy driving my car that is Gulfstream Aqua. The Aqua really stands out compared to the other (newer) car colors I see on the road. I agree with Rvrtrash when he said "save your old parts and don't do any mod that can't be reversed," but in the long run the car is yours and you are more than right do with it as you please.

I know with my car, I constantly fight back and forth about making improvements / changes or keeping it 100% original. Since my car still has a numbers matching engine I will being going back to stock with only a few minor changes that will be reversible later. My 2 cents.

“It's a God-send for any of us who want to bring these gorgeous cars back to life.” Cnassif, I completely agree with you here. I may not have been around when these cars were new on the road but nothing makes me happier than to see someone else driving a classic on the highway. I may be from the younger crowd but I still appreciate the beauty of these and all the classics out there. To all the long standing members of the site who have poured their life into researching our cars, I thank you. :flag:

Cameron

dalorzo_f

I find it interesting how many folks who want a "safe" car go for a "big engine" (e.g. fast) and manual... ;-) And 245's or bigger on the rear. Drums are fine for daily drivers, I'm pleasantly surprised by the ones in my CS, but discs are better... two words for "safer" ... drive slower. Safest thing you can do in any car.

I debated a similar issue, as my CS is a bit frayed, but fairly original, decided to go semi-factory, but not go crazy over paint daubs, etc. Most parts are readily available and "close" (e.g. AMK kits). I'm going to do a minor respray over old paint to fix door dings and a few faded bits, new stripes, dye the original vinyl roof (my painter mentioned some miracle paint/dye he had) yank the engine, replace the Holley with a corect 2100, detail the engine bay and engine and then just drop it back in drive it. A tidy drum/C code/C4... that's a blast to drive in its range!

Once you go bare metal if you strip everything, the mission creep begins. Do you put back on old parts with a nice new paint job? If not, $$$ go up, and up... and you end up with an expensive restoration as old interior, suspension, etc stands out like a dogs balls on a nice new paint job.

On the GH, not a cheap option. You'll spend a lot on Shelby fiberglass, and massaging it to look good, and then there's all the other Shelby bling if your really doing a replica and not just a paint job and vinyl roof that looks similar (I loath a "GT350" clone that's a coupe white paint and blue stripes over a basically stock, standard interior, C code!). I'm going to do a GH and it will not be cheap, I'm budgeting $50k, and doubt I'll hit that mark. The Shelby stuff alone is about 6-7k, front glass and trim 4k, console/gauges, 1k, wheels, 1k, deluxe interior 2k, body/paint (to do the car justice) $15k easy. Big block, stroked, 8k, efi throttle body setup, 2k, beefed up C6, 2k, etc, etc.... so you can paint it green for a lot less, but a true replica will be a significant cost. But a way cool car!

Restore it to what you want, if its a $50k job, drive it anyway. I do with my S convertible (non CS) and figure that's what insurance is for.. :smile: Just realize restomods will never hold value as much as original, IMHO. A worn crate motor has little value, a worn VIN stamped block or proper date stamped "correct" parts can entice some to buy.. but even then a concours restoration is rarely a money maker... wrong hobby to get rich with!

To quote Blind Faith... "Do what you like"

Keep us posted.

Ruppstang

I am a MCA concours judge so you know where my personal allegiances are. I helped both of my boys build 67 & 68 driver cars. They were all over the map on color changes. I encoraged them to keep their orignial colors or at least choose a Mustang color. In the end they kept the orignial color but doubled the grain size of the metalic. The results were beautiful. Craig's 67 is clear water aqua not quite gulfstream aqua but close. I will post a picture of it. In the end do what makes YOU HAPPY! Marty

Attachments

• 1964 coupe 019.jpg
    1964 coupe 019.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Craig's 1967 (19).jpg
    Craig's 1967 (19).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 48

Midnight Special

...I always like these "what would make everyone happy" threads. They're always popular with a lot of individuals who showcase what makes themselves happy (and with the best of ideas). My point is - don't discount your own ideas or be shy about sharing them on a future thread of like with pride and your own sense of value. In another unpleasant, but documented fact, remember also that the author who gathered up information for this book (who now disses this group) tried to sell his extremely worn and less correct car at the price of a Shelby simply because it was "his" (sense of value) rather than with the effort and expense that most people endure. No need to try & impress likes of him IMO...

As far as color, stripes, high performance and safety mods etc..., by all means, but your greatest joy and safety will come with your own respectful operation and pride that will be affirmed best by people in your own neighborhood. You'll see :)

teamlo

Meadowlark Yellow, black vinyl top, black stripes.

: )

Terry

franklinair

I gotta go with Arlie on the color: Highland Green has always been a favorite of mine. And the fact that it's original doesn't hurt!!

Neil

vman

Tough decision to make. Have to agree on the highland green. In saying that my car has had a pretty colourfull past.(excuse the pun) Started its life as lime gold with matching interior. By the time I had got it , it was some kind of 2 pack red that was falling off in chunks. Other bits that had been modified were side pods had been fiberglassed into the body as if it was all one piece. It had been converted to right hand drive ,thus the air conditioner ,power steering and heater were all removed. It also had incorrect driving lights and void of the hood latches. Not to mention the interior had been changed to black and the original J code block replaced with a standard 302 windsor. Over time I have repainted it in candy apple red.(A 1968 paint colour) I have also sourced lucas lights and hood latches. I have done my best to bring it back to what can be identified as a california special with my budget which is pretty small considering I have 3 teenage kids. While I own it , it would be safe to say that it will not be returning back to or resemble how it originated.
Good luck with what ever you choose and enjoy your choice.