• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A few pics from the GT/CS BBQ.

Midnight Special

wow...talk about a special event

...Indeed! And many more pics to come ;-))

There is no way that the entire scope of this event will be told in two, three or even five threads.

Mike and Robinette shot for the Moon and ended up on Mars!!!

There was truly something for everyone (food, hospitality, scenery, celebrity, education, excitement, generosity and on & on...) not to mention the overwhelming sight of so many beautiful GT/CS and HCS cars!

....And wait 'til you see the complete list of all who attended!!
Way too many pics to process now, but hang on - They're coming! (from everyone!)

Such the wonderful event!

Attachments

• 8181.jpg
    8181.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 8183.jpg
    8183.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_0362.jpg
    DSC_0362.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0340.jpg
    DSC_0340.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0333.jpg
    DSC_0333.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0332.jpg
    DSC_0332.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0331.jpg
    DSC_0331.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

somethingspecial

Thank You All!!!!!!!!

It was a wonderful day. It started on Monday, when Steve and Jennifer Chapman (1968CAL) from Campbell, Ca. arrived with their Beautiful GT/CS dropped the car off for a week of storage. Then, on Friday, Bob Teets (HighcountryBob) and His long time friend Russ Stearns arrived with Bob's CJ HCS. Saturday morning started early for Robinette and I, When at 0'dark thirty we were up and preping for the days event. I was out at the break of day putting up signs along the highway pointing the way to the house. Tim O'Brien (Midnight Special) made some beautiful laminated signs for us.

Neil Hoppe (Franklin Air) arrive at 0730 and Helped us with the coffee and doughnuts. The Cars started to arrive at 0930 with Tims entire stampede of horses. Don Potter (68gt390), Marion Tucker (CalifGirl), Donna Culwell (DeiselDonna), Renne Foster (Ponygal) were all in the herd. Tim brought out two of his Mach 1s, and put the herd out to pasture for the day.

Soon, Jeff Miller (Miller511) arrived with his just completed 347 Stroker GT/CS. Boy, He woke up my neighbors when he fired it up to pull it off the trailer. LOL. Jeff, Great Job.

Ron and Sandy Davis (Bztz4m) arrived with their 07' GT/CS and put it in place. What a beautiful car.

As the morning progressed, we would just be getting one car into place, and you would hear a familiar rumble coming over the hill, and here would be 1-2-3 more GT/CSs coming. I got word Joe DeLos Santos (JoeDls) was not going to make it as he had ignition problems. I was bummed. Then, I heard a familiar sound of a blower, and looked up and saw Joe pulling in. During the night, he had a vision, got up, fixed the problem, and I'm sure obeyed all speed laws coming from SoCal. RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

When all cars were in place, we had one HCS, 24 68' GT/CSs, two 07' GT/CSs, three Mach 1s, one clone, and approximately 75 fantastic folks from all over the country. Phil Condict was the Chef for the day, and cooked 15 huge TriTip roasts, 14 #s of chicken, 24 burgers and a butt load of hot dogs. We have no leftovers, it was all consumed. Folks brought all kinds of side dishes.

Tim O'Brien did a fantastic job setting up the Fly-Over. He was in the camera ship taking photos of the show. The pilots arrived for lunch and enjoyed the cars, as well as meeting the folks on the ground. BRAVO Tim and RYDER FLIGHT GROUP, Rudy Rudolph, Steve Wilson, Gary Guilliat, and Bob Hobert. Photo Ship pilot Keith Thomasen did a great job keeping a stable photo platform for Tim.

Paul Newitt made a beautiful tri-fold display board with photos, fliers, artwork, etc. Sorry Paul, I haven't seen it, don't know where it is, I have no recollection of that Senator!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Paul.

Tim's son TJ was very helpful helping my mom with all her needs. He constantly was making sure she had water, food, etc. My Mom needs a walker to get around, and he was awsome with taking care of her. THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH TJ!!!!!!

Bob Teets brought several items for a raffle, and one of the best parts for me was when a young man, Brad Risdal won a set of side scoop screens. He just asked me a few weeks ago where he could find screens for his GT/CS as his were all crusty and damaged. Someone was smiling down on Brad.

The party started to break up around 7:00 PM, and the last to leave at around 10:30. Another fine day, and another History making event.

Robinette was passed out on the couch when I finally ventured into the house after securing the yard. My kids Amber (C/S BRAT), Marissa, and their boyfriends, Chris and Rich, ran their butts off all day, with parking cars, helping with the food, etc. Thank you all SOOOOOOOO MUCH.

I will let Amber post the pictures she took. Again, Thank you all for a wonderful day and the memories. We hope to have a bigger event next year. Stay Tuned. Mike and Robinette Jewell

Last edited:

miller511

Mike, Robinette, Tim, everyone,
Again, a great bunch of folks to hang out with and talk Mustangs with. And an absolutely top-notch job of putting on this very cool event.
Thank you guys!!!
-Jeff

Mustanglvr

Tim, the pics of the flyover are fantastic! The pics of the group are great, glad everyone had a wonderful time. You all look so happy.

miller511

A few pics.

Attachments

• GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 173.jpg
    GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 173.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 42
  • GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 070.jpg
    GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 070.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 38
  • GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 103.jpg
    GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 103.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 64
  • GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 130.jpg
    GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 130.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 60
  • GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 092.jpg
    GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 092.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 47
  • GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 058.jpg
    GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 058.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 40
  • GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 019.jpg
    GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 019.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 52
  • GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 001.jpg
    GTCS BBQ at Chicago Park CA 001.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 52

PonyGal

Mike & Robinette,
It was a wonderful BBQ and an awesome day. Thank you so much for all the work you did to put this together! Met quite a few great people, and consumed some delicious food!!! You two are amazing - bringing all those beautiful cars and wonderful people together for the day. Can't wait for next year...

Tim,
The aerial shots are fantastic, and the flyover was incredible. Thank you for putting that together for everyone to enjoy. You got some great pictures, both in the air and on the ground.

I can't even start to say how nice it was to meet some of the people out here on the site face to face. It was like we were all old friends and I had a blast taking to everyone! It was one of the best days I have had in a long time.

Midnight Special

...'Found a little suprise as I am putting cars away today... JOE, DONNA - I told you NOT to do that! ;-) But I will pass that on to the pilots with your (more than generous) gracious sentiments :)

I still can't get over how nice it was to meet and see so many wonderful people!!! In addition to Mike and Robinnette, we have Webmaster Jon for creating this forum, 'likes of Paul Newitt and Bob Teets for keeping everyone "sharp", 'longtimers Don Potter and travellers like "Franklinair" for acting on the value of the Jewell's passion for quality... and the list will go on (after some reflective recovery;-)

What a great time!!

Thank you all who have yet to be mentioned!!! 'Looking forward to your stories and photos!

P.S. I had little to do with planning of this other than wanting to get some aerial shots and seeing all of you and your cars. This was purely a "Jewell" of an event!

Attachments

• DSC_0136.jpg
    DSC_0136.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0133.jpg
    DSC_0133.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0109.jpg
    DSC_0109.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

GTCS42

Mike and Robinette--

Many thanks for a great event. Thanks for all your hard work. We really enjoyed meeting everyone and seeing all the nice rides!

Kevin

68gt390

WOW, what a weekend. First off a huge thank you to Mike and Robinnette Jewell (SomethingSpecial) as well as Tim (Midnight Special) for their hospitality and generosity to both myself and my son this past weekend. You all have truly made my return to California an event my son and I will not soon forget. The food and folks were great. Finally being able to meet so many of the folks I have posted with here on the site in person was a great experience.

As soon as I can figure out my son's computer, I'll be posting some of the photo's I took this weekend. I truely hope I can attend next years event.

Don :grin:

joedls

Mike and Robinette,

You guys rock!!! You can throw a hell of a party!!! Many thanks for your hard work and generosity :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

So here's the saga of my car problems. ( Bear with me. This will come full circle back to the awesome party.) For those that don't know, I have a supercharged 347 that made 556 HP and 542 lbs-ft of torque on the engine dyno when it was built. But we all know that those numbers are made without accessories and open exhaust. So I figured after install I probably had somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 HP.

So then David Athens started talking about racing at the dragstrip. David is also making somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 HP. But David has experience at the track, runs slicks on his car, and seems to always have a new trick up his sleeve when he goes to the track. I planned to meet him on 8/11. But I figured I better be prepared.

My car was making about 8 lbs. of boost. I installed a smaller pulley and started making 12 lbs. But I had to retard my timing so much that I really didn't feel much difference. So I started increasing my timing a little at a time and was listening for detonation. Evidently my hearing isn't very good because disaster struck. I blew a hole in one of my pistons. I tried to get it together for the race, but just couldn't do it. But I wasn't going to miss the BBQ.

When I had the piston replaced I also had them install water/methanol injection to help with my detonation so I could put in more timing and utilize the power potential of that extra boost. I got some recommendations for a dynotuner here in Orange County and called to ask about his experience with water/methanol injection. He assured me he had lots of experience with the kit I had installed so I set an appointment for 2 PM on Friday. I was going to leave from there and go to the BBQ. By the time I left my car would hardly run. The tuner had me convinced it was my ignition. It felt like ignition to me also. So I went home and checked all my plugs, switched out my distributor for the one out of my convertible, and checked everything I could think of. Still no luck. So I called Diesl Donna and told her I wouldn't be going to the BBQ.

I woke up on Saturday morning at 5 and a lightbulb went off in my head. I checked the water/methanol injection controller. With 12 lbs of boost, it is supposed to be set to start injection at 4 lbs of boost and increase incrementally until it is injecting fully at 12 lbs of boost. Then you tune it by changing nozzles and/or pump pressure. The idiot who was supposed to tune it had it set to inject fully as soon as I had any boost. That much water/methanol was just blowing out my spark. That's why it felt like ignition. So I set the controller correctly and it got better, but still didn't run well. So I shut off the water/methanol and retarded my timing significantly to avoid detonation. The car ran fine. Not as much power as I was used to but I could drive it without fear of blowing up my engine. I threw my stuff in the car and took off to Grass Valley!!! (See, I told you it would come back around)

I got there just in time to see the fly-over. The cars, the people, the generosity, the fellowship was outstanding!!! The food was incredible. The fun was over the top. Mike and Robinette are awesome!!!!! Can I say that again? MIKE AND ROBINETTE ARE AWESOME!!!!

P.S. Paul, I can't thank you enough for the Lucas lights and pedestals.

P.S.S. Anyone know a dynotuner that has experience with water/methanol injection?

Oh yeah, here are some pics.

Attachments

• P1010072-r.JPG
    P1010072-r.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010073.JPG
    P1010073.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 34
  • P1010087.JPG
    P1010087.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 38
  • P1010097.JPG