• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Upper Console

franklinair

Anyone have experience installing an upper console? Looks like 2 screw attachment points, front & rear. Are the screw receptacles already in place? This car did not have upper console previously, so I don't know if I need to just fish for the holes or drop the headliner to install receptacles.

Neil

CougarCJ

Neil, there are installation brackets required for the overhead console. A small front one, and a rear bracket that spans the width of the car. Do you have those?

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

CougerCJ;
No, I don't have them. Are they available anywhere?
I recently read that this o'head console was part of the Deluxe interior package, and I am going to put the Deluxe interior in my C/S.

Neil

Mosesatm

I think the rear bracket is required only on the fastback.

CougarCJ

Whoa, Neil, I can hook you up with the front one for $20 shipping included.

*Hint - that is the same bracket used on 1967-68 Cougar XR7's. The XR7's of those years had an overhead console that housed two lights and the convenience warning lights.
I am going to remove mine from my 1968 when I redo the headliner.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Couger CJ;
I'll take you up on your kind offer. PM me name, address, etc. and I'll get a check to you. Many thanks.
What secures the aft end of the console?

Neil

Mosesatm

Couger CJ;
I'll take you up on your kind offer. PM me name, address, etc. and I'll get a check to you. Many thanks.
What secures the aft end of the console?

Neil

It screws into the box frame around the window. USE SHORT SCREWS!!!

CougarCJ

...I don't know Neil. In light of what's been happening, you'd better get a plane ticket & go look at it first! I'd hate to see CJ "fly the coop" with your $20!!

;-)

Yeah, I have an engine compartment that needs some scrubbing and detailing.
I'll pick him up in Ontario.

I actually asked for his address up front so that I could get it on the way without the check in hand. I tend to trust old geezers, sorry, I mean seasoned older mature gentlemen and ladies. Being an Eagle Scout allows me to have a fairly trusting nature.

The USPS package should cross paths with the 1st class letter somewhere between Amarillo and Fort Smith Arkansas.

robert campbell

I was just scrubbing my engine compartment 30 minutes ago!! You mean Neil would have done this?? Crap!!!

Rob

clubpro

They don't make them much sweeter than Amy. I would work on her car any time. Wait are we talking about the black 68 that is possessed or the black 2008 that made me want a new CS? I know that 68 too well and still have nightmares about the last 30 miles in it. Oh well we accomplished what we set out to do and that was drive the car from California to Seattle. Like any wild Mustang you have to keep getting back on it until you break it.

Cheers,

Ron