• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Trivia questions on engine bay size

390cs68rcode

Which engine bay is larger from shock tower to shock tower?

A 68 Mustang or 69 Mustang?

Which one can fit the bigger motor into it?

68Fan

Being my brother has a 69 Mach1/390 and you almost cannot change the plugs w/ out pulling the motor, I would say the 68 is probably bigger. Also, saying 68 doesn't sound right so that has to be the correct answer.

68sunlitgold

I agree, I think the 68 is larger. I know the 429s had to have the shock towers moved/decreased to make room for it.

Doug

nfrntau

They are both the same width and use the same model number export brace. I believe the 69-70 compartment is a touch longer.

nfrntau

The Boss 429 was fitted by an aftermarket company called Kar Kraft. The shock towers on those cars were chopped 1" on each side to make room for those lovely monster motors

Perkchiro

You are right. I just looked at a 69 Boss 429 and the shock towers were indeed modified to allow the wider 429 engine. I wondered how difficult the spark plug changes might be, probably real knuckle busters. By the way, this car I'm speaking of was in the same body shop with my car. Mine is in for body and paint and the Boss was just getting some cosmetic surface scratches removed. This car was purchased by the current owner for $140,000. He purchased this as an investment and anticipates selling it in one year for twice that price. WOW!!!. :eek:

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

the shock towers are exactly the same distance apart in a 68 and 69. Heck even the 65/66/67 distance is the same. I put a export brace on my 69 that I originally bought for my 66.

I would also say both the 68 and 69 have the same size bay except for extra room in front of the radiator on the 69 compared to the 68.

Mustanger

Hmmm, that's interesting ... I always heard that the engine bay was enlarged in '67 to be able to install the 390. Perhaps the export brace mounting locations didn't change (as evidenced by the same brace for all the years mentioned), but maybe the overall engine bay volume did increase to better accomodate the 390 BB ;).