• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

347 Stroker

joedls

This is going in my 65 Mustang convertible. It's so pretty, I just had to share. And it dyno'd at over 400 HP.

Attachments

• Mvc-002f.jpg
    Mvc-002f.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 25

68gt390

That is one sweeeeeet motor. It should wake her up a little. I had a 347 in my 91 LX and boy was it fun to drive. Enjoy.

Don ;D

case12

Hey, it looks like you get to keep your engine in the kitchen! If only my wife would let me do that :D Or else, that is one clean garage.

I have a hot 351W in my 66 convertible, and I push the accelerator carefully with my toe (and hope the torque boxes hold and dont twist the frame). It will be a very tight fit between your shock towers, and changing plugs will be near impossible. But it is worth it. I assume you will use a Monte Carlo bar?

Here is a pic of mine - mine blue, yours red - sweet! ;D Casey

Attachments

• 66convertible_a.jpg
    66convertible_a.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
joedls

joedls

[quote author=case12 link=board=4;threadid=1784;start=0#msg11460 date=1118416250]
Hey, it looks like you get to keep your engine in the kitchen! If only my wife would let me do that :D Or else, that is one clean garage.

I have a hot 351W in my 66 convertible, and I push the accelerator carefully with my toe (and hope the torque boxes hold and dont twist the frame). It will be a very tight fit between your shock towers, and changing plugs will be near impossible. But it is worth it. I assume you will use a Monte Carlo bar?

Here is a pic of mine - mine blue, yours red - sweet! ;D Casey
[/quote]

Actually, that is T & L Engine Development's shop. They build Nascar motors and have recently gotten into building street motors. This is right before they crated it up to ship to me. I will use export braces, monte carlo bar, and subframe connectors.

I shouldn't have any problems fitting it between the shock towers since this is basically the same dimensions as the 289 that was removed.

You have a very nice car. I hope mine turns out as nice.

davidathans

Im also running a 347. Using AFR185 heads and a lunati hydraulic roller cam.

I never engine dynoed mine, but the guy who built it said its making over 400bhp. I did however dyno mine at the wheels and it make 340RWHP at 6300rpm and 320 torque.

Can you share some of the details of your 347:
1. What is your compression ratio?
2. What is your cam/lifters?
3. What is your intake manifold/carbuetor setup?

thanks
David

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

[quote author=davidathans link=board=4;threadid=1784;start=0#msg11471 date=1118443678]
Im also running a 347. Using AFR185 heads and a lunati hydraulic roller cam.

I never engine dynoed mine, but the guy who built it said its making over 400bhp. I did however dyno mine at the wheels and it make 340RWHP at 6300rpm and 320 torque.

Can you share some of the details of your 347:
1. What is your compression ratio?
2. What is your cam/lifters?
3. What is your intake manifold/carbuetor setup?

thanks
David
[/quote]

I don't have all of this info yet. The motor is en-route from North Carolina. A build sheet and all the specs, as well as a video of the engine dyno run will come with the motor. I do know it's running an Edelbrock 600 carb and I have the following info from their website:

New Rotating Assembly:
- 3.400" Scat cast steel crankshaft
- 4340 5.400" Scat I-beam forged steel rods
- Clevite 77 rod and main bearings
- Plasma moly Hastings piston rings
- Keith Black hyperuetectic pistons

New Parts:
- Dura-bond cam bearings
- Roller timing set
- Melling oil pump
- ARP oil pump drive rod
- Aluminum Dart Pro1 cyl. heads (2.02/1.60 valves, 195cc runners)
- Chrome valve covers
- Oil pan
- Street series harmonic balancer
- Gasket set
- Silicone beaded intake gaskets
- Aluminum roller rockers (w/ 7/16 studs and 1.6 ratio)
- .080" wall chrome moly pushrods
- ARP cyl. head bolt kit (stepped)
- Aluminum air gap design intake manifold
- Cast iron water pump
- Aluminum late model style front cover
- Cam thrust plate
- Fuel pump eccentric
- Chrome dipstick
- Chrome fuel block off plate
- T&L custom grind camshaft & hydraulic lifter set
- Melling oil pump pickup tube
- Spark plugs
- Oil and filter
- Brass expansion plug kit

Labor:
- All parts hand cleaned
- Block sonic checked for thickness
- Block pressure tested @40 psi
- Block stroker clearanced
- Block square decked w/BHJ fixturing
- Aligned hone mains
- Bored and honed w/torque plates
- All clearances checked to the nearest .0001"
- Rotating assembly externally balanced
- Engine blueprinted w/spec sheet on file
- Engine fully assembled and dressed to customer specifications
- Dyno tested

davidathans

Well sounds pretty good, a few concerns...

I built my first 347 stroker with a cast crank/keith black hypereutectic pistons and melling oil pump...and the results were bad, but we built the motor with very high compression and had 1968 cast iron cylinder heads on the car as well as only the stock 5 quart oil pan...basically the oil pressure was too great about 80-90psi ++ reving out the motor and the 11.0:1 compression ratio was too high to run 91 octane gas...if you want to see what those pistons ended up looking like take a gander at my page in the gallery..im on page 3 under David Athans...

Find out what your compression ratio is...and how many quarts of oil will your pan hold...

although im sure the guys who built your motor and got 400 horse out of it...knew not to build it with such high compression that you would destroy your pistons like i did.

I had to replace my motor after destroying those pistons and when i did i went all forged, put aluminum heads on, bigger cam, bigger oil pan..and now the motor runs like a champ at 9.7:1 compression and no problems with 91 gas..

good luck with yours and im sure you will love the torque and horsepower from your very big small block...sincerely GTCS347