• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Help Needed On Factory Tach

somethingspecial

HHHHEEEELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!! I have buttoned up everything under the dash and went to put the gauges in, and found I don't know where the factory in-dash tach hooks up. It has a black wire and a red wire coming out of the tach. Can anyone help me with the other end? I can not find any schematic for the tach. Mike

CougarCJ

Is this tach original to your GT/CS?
If so the wires should be on the right half of your gauge pod, likely two separate wires with a male and a female plug.

If this tachometer is one that you are newly introducing to your Mustang, you will either need a very detailed wiring schematic and make the proper connections or find a 1968 Mustang under dash wiring harness for a tach dash.

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

The Tach is original to the car. It has two seperate wires coming out ot the tach as you mentioned. I have a new correct main underdash loom for a tach equipped car. My problem is I can't find the connectors in the main loom to connect the tach to. What am I looking for? Where would they route to? Does the red wire go to the Ignition switch? If so, Where does the other connect? Thanks, Mike

joedls

Mike,

I can't find my wiring diagrams, but I need to pull my gauge cluster. I'll do that tomorrow night and see how my tach is connected if someone else can't help you before then.

joedls

Mike,

The black wire connects to the pink resistance wire. The red wire connects to another red wire. I'm assuming that goes to the ignition switch, but I can't tell.

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Joe, Thanks, I thought the black wire went to the Pink resister wire. It has been 25 years since I pulled it apart, and I remembered the pink wire. I also remembered the red wire had several short jumpers in the line, and I found those on the original loom. It has a factory splice to the red/green wire at the ignition switch plug. The new loom doesn't have this splice, and that was throwing me off. I think I do have it solved now. So Joe, DON'T pull yours apart yet. I'll know in a few days. I am hoping to start her up on Tuesday. I'll keep you posted. Mike.

miller511

Mike,

Just a reminder-

Video documentation of you starting her up (and the grin on your face) and posting it here is a requirement.

-Jeff