• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Color Keyed Wheels

Gregpet

I am considering a California Special that is located about 200 miles from my home. I'll definitely inspect before buying but am trying to do as much due diligence before heading out.

The car has aftermarket wheels but the owner says that he thinks he has the originals that came with the car (although he is not original owner). I have only seen pictures of the car (with the aftermarket wheels) and the owner is an older gentlman that doesn't know how to use a digital camera (he sent me the car pictures via US post). Therefore he can't take a quick pic of the original wheel and send it to me...

I have been looking for GT/CS' for a while and have noticed that most GT/CS have a steel wheel (sometimes chromed) with center cap and chrome outer ring. I sent him (he can check email) a picture of a GT/CS with 'typical' wheels and he said his wheels did not look like that...

He described his wheel as color-keyed to the car (in this case lime gold) with a 10" hubcap that had some kind of mustang symbol (not sure if it is words or pony). He said that the hub cap does not cover the entire wheel (you can see the lime green between hubcap and tire). He also said that there were 4 gaps or holes around the wheel (outside the hubcap).

The marti report says the car came with 'deluxe wheel covers'...

Has anyone ever seen a wheel like this? Is this OEM Mustang?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Greg

franklinair

It seems that the 'color keyed' wheel described is the standard type wheel painted the same color as the car. The 10" hubcaps are the standard issue of the time. The deluxe wheel covers cover the whole wheel, and have a red Mustang center. I have these on one of my cars - send me your email, and I'll send you a photo.

Neil Hoppe

OP
OP
Gregpet

Gregpet

You guys are great. It does sound like the 'dog dish' style. Is this original? ie: 'Deluxe Wheel Cover'?

I think I would want to go back with the standard 3-piece rim. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can purchase the standard rims? Approx what would 4 rims go for?

Thanks again!
Greg

franklinair

I've seen the argent (silver) and the chrome wheels advertised on E-bay, and you can purchase them new from several Mustang parts suppliers. The trim rings & center caps are also available in both markets (new & used). You're probably looking at $400 to $500, more if you opt to get all new components. Hope this helps.

Neil

CALIF GIRL

I have a set of 4 old styled steel rims that are painted argent. Would be good om a driver car. Let me know if you are interested.

CougarCJ

I've seen the argent (silver) and the chrome wheels advertised on E-bay, and you can purchase them new from several Mustang parts suppliers. The trim rings & center caps are also available in both markets (new & used). You're probably looking at $400 to $500, more if you opt to get all new components. Hope this helps.

Neil

Check around, these should be available in 15 inch too.

rvrtrash

Greg, I looked at your profile but it doesn't say what part of the country you live in. When you're buying wheels, shipping adds to the cost, so let us know and maybe we can help you save a little.

Steve

OP
OP
Gregpet

Gregpet

I'll update my profile now...

I'm in Dallas. Any further ideas on obtaining a set of Argent or Chrome wheels would be greatly appreciated!

I did check Ebay and it looks like the only set available right now is a chrome set priced at $700+...

Thanks,
Greg

Mosesatm

I'll update my profile now...

I'm in Dallas. Any further ideas on obtaining a set of Argent or Chrome wheels would be greatly appreciated!

I did check Ebay and it looks like the only set available right now is a chrome set priced at $700+...

Thanks,
Greg

Are you looking for show quality or driver quality? Here are 4 sets of what appear to be driver quality wheels on eBay.

eBay1

eBay 2

eBay 3

eBay 4 (these look real nice)

New set from M.U.