• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Urgent Help - Decals

2007GTCS

Paul,
The engine bay of my old '69 coupe looked very similar to yours...just covered with about 1/2" of oil that leaked out from the valve covers/head gasket! That thing is clean!

J_Speegle

I did see someone else with their jacking instructions close to mine, but I don't remember who. I could not place them in the triangle area since the sticker was so big, .....

The sticker was not installed so that the whole decal stuck to the deck lid flat. 99% of the San Jose Mustangs had the decals in that lower triangle from 65-70. It may have been difficult to reach the top of the deck lid at that moment depending on how high the car was.

If I remember right, it seems that decals (in general) were not placed in one spot. It seems to me that each decal can be placed in several different spots (even when new).

Got to disagree. Based on the thousands I've seen they generally (like most production practices) fit one of a couple of patterns. Not to say everyone was the same but workers tend to find a pattern that works for them and they stick with that pattern normally. We see it on too many cars and original cars just do not support the "random" theory.

J_Speegle

That silver sticker on the valve cover sure looks bad. I could swear I read somewhere about the passenger shock tower was used ocassionally? Anyone confirm a original that had it there?

As mentioned earlier I thought this might be a results of something from a magazine article or from cars at other plants

Looking at some Dearborn cars yesterday and going through my pictures it appears that allot of Dearborn cars had the decal on the passenger side shock tower.

8F02S147xxx
8F01S106454eng.jpg

8F01T12160
8F01T12160PSshocktwr.jpg

And here is a 68 S code (all the engines were assembled at that same plant) with the decal on the chrome valve cover ( have others) - 8FO2S199572

8FO2S199572eng.jpg

68gt390

Decals are fine if you want the concourse look but, to me, all the decals just ruin the look of the engine bay. My car isn't concourse and never will be but, that's just me. The only decal that really means anything to me is on the air cleaner.

Don :grin:

Attachments

• 428CJ 35.JPG
    428CJ 35.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 30

PFSlim

The sticker was not installed so that the whole decal stuck to the deck lid flat. 99% of the San Jose Mustangs had the decals in that lower triangle from 65-70. It may have been difficult to reach the top of the deck lid at that moment depending on how high the car was.

Got to disagree. Based on the thousands I've seen they generally (like most production practices) fit one of a couple of patterns. Not to say everyone was the same but workers tend to find a pattern that works for them and they stick with that pattern normally. We see it on too many cars and original cars just do not support the "random" theory.

I am sure you are right. I remember it being extremely difficult to determine what was original and what was restored. In the end, I agree with Don in saying that decals are nice, they make the car look more concourse, however, I am not going to loose much sleep over if my decals are in the right spot.

Paul

CobraMan

Thanks

J Speegle (And Others), thanks for the pics! This really helps me. BTW, I really Dig this sight! It has been so helpful in perfecting my little beauty. I located the "special" DL32903 Grill paint via this site. What a difference that made to my grill. Wasn't expensive but it was right.